Classen RA-21H Reciprocating Aerator - Thoughts

bhq100

LawnSite Member
Hello Everyone:

I am looking to purchase a used reciprocating aerator for personal use on my 1 acre property - about 26,000 sq. feet of lawn. I've researched many different types from the Ryan LA28, to the home depot rental/for sale Ryan LA IV, to the Pluggr reciprocating, etc. I live in SE PA with clay soil. This Classen has specs that show 10 holes per square foot with a max of up to 2.75'' depth of core. I believe up to 25,000 sq. feet per hour.

This Classen RA-21 looks to have come out in 2013 and I cannot find anything on this site reviewing this unit. Does anyone have experience with this unit? It looks from the product videos very similar to the non-hydro reciprocating Pluggr or Billy Goat Aerators.

There is a guy near me who is retiring that has one of these that has been used 3 times - selling it for $900 - looks to be in mint condition. If anyone has any experience with this machine please let me know. And does anyone know if these screw on hollow tines that are 5/8'' are universal between Classen, Ryan, Pluggr, Billy Goat?

Thanks in advance for any advice, Ben.

71GTX

LawnSite Senior Member
I run a plugr 800 has been great. I know that the Plugr and Billy Goat reciprocating tines interchange.As far a plug density they can be manipulated to plug more or less per sq.ft.you could even spot till if need be.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
It is fine on level ground but may struggle if you have hills since it is driven by the action of the tines. I demoed one at GIE several years ago and it did well.

For reciprocating aerators, hydro drive is best.

OP
B

bhq100

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the response. My lot is pretty level and since I am not using this every day, the lack of self propulsion is not a huge deal for me. As long as it pulls quality cores and does what the specs say it does than I think I will go for it.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks for the response. My lot is pretty level and since I am not using this every day, the lack of self propulsion is not a huge deal for me. As long as it pulls quality cores and does what the specs say it does than I think I will go for it.
Do a demo for 15 minutes. That should be enough time to give you an idea. Do the tines have to be raised for turning?