Claw for pulling weed / tree roots?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by AlohaMowing, Jan 29, 2020.

1. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

In my area we have guinea grass that grows in clumps that can be up to a couple feet in diameter. Each blade of this grass is about 3/8" diameter and they can grow to 12' tall. I sometimes can wrap a chain with a slip hook around a clump and pull the entire clump out, but not always.

We also have a constant problem with weed trees that sprout everywhere due to mynas scattering seeds. When these have a trunk 3-4" diameter I can use the chain to pull them, but smaller than that the trunk will break leaving behind roots that then sprout.

I need some kind of claw that can be attached to a chain and will dig into the root system, like a boat's anchor digs into the sea bottom, and then pull out the entire root structure. Ideally there would be 2 claws separated 4 - 6" so it could straddle the small weed tree trunks. It needs to be pretty strong for the load I would put on it. I would pull either with my tractor or using a comealong. It needs to be pullable by the chain because often it is impossible to get the tractor closer than 10 or 15'.

I have been unable to find anything for sale, and would prefer not to attempt to construct this myself if something is commercially available at a modest price.

Anyone know of such a thing?

2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Northern tool has exactly what u are talking about. Not sure if there is one on the islands.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

So does forestry supplier in MS and they will ship anywhere.

4. OP
    OP
    AlohaMowing

Thanks. The closest I see at those sites is a product called a Brush Grubber which is designed to grab the weeds or tree above ground, and does not dig out the roots. Perhaps I missed something on the sites, but I am still looking.

5. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a (ATV Chisel Plow)

6. OP
    OP
    AlohaMowing

Thought about that, but cannot always get the tractor that close to what I am trying to pull so I'm looking for something that can be attached to a chain and pulled from a distance.

If I cannot find a ready made I am thinking of taking 2 wrecking bars and welding something on the straight end to attach a short length of chain between them, and then I could hook the long pull-chain to that short chain, spread the bars to a convenient width, and pull. I see a wrecking bar made by Stanley with a curve that wraps around farther than most -- probably about a 135 degree bend, so it should tend to dig into the root structure.

7. sehitchman

What about an old school soil Harrow. I have one made from an I-beam and it uses railroad spikes attached with U-Bolts, similar to what you see on baseball diamonds. You could also cut down ripper, but the problem is getting penetration when dragging remotely.

8. sehitchman

9. sehitchman

Or, get a BCS tractor, it would fit anywhere, and tons of attachments that will do what you're looking for.