Clay paver overlay Estimating

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MS Services, Nov 19, 2019.

1. MS Services

MS Services LawnSite Member

Hi all. I am working on some bidding for a large patio overlay. New construction. The concrete has been poured in preparation for laying clay pavers ( customer wants a specific clay paver). Just wanted to get some opinions on labor cost to do just over 3,000 Sqft. The general will be supplying all materials. Just trying to get some better numbers on labor. Any thoughts or opinions would help. Thanks

2. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

mortared? dry set? lots of curves and cutting? Rectangular? easy access? thru the hills and over a hill to grandmother's house? Butting up to any fixed grades? etc? you are going to have to be more specific if you want any useful info on here...

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Clearly $3500

BrandonV likes this.
  4. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

A dollar a square foot!

5. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I'd be closer to $3,675.

6. DVS Hardscaper

On a serious note. Conduct a search of my name on this forum. I have written extensively on this.

7. OP
    OP
    MS Services

MS Services LawnSite Member

Sorry been busy and forgot to check back. The general on this job is a pain in the ass doesn't know how they want to lay it. Thinking herringbone or running bond. Easy access. All on concrete recently poured. Planning on gluing the outside edge. I think we need a thin layer of sand to keep from rocking. General says no sand. Thoughts? Not sure I'm going to get this job with how unorganized this GC is. I'm over wasting my time trying to help him figure it out. Doesn't have material picked out or ordered yet. Is not sure how they want to set it and he wants it done by the end of the month. 3/4 of this will be under cover. The rest outside.

8. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

if you have never done herringbone pattern this may not be the job to learn it. With clay pavers you can run into bricks that are a little different in size, making herringbone tough. As long as the concrete is somewhat smooth lay it right on the concrete and sweeping sand in will stabilize like 99 percent of the wobblers. Make sure the bricks have the same thickness or you won't end up with a smooth finish if thats the case then use a layer of bedding sand.

9. Bfish

Bfish LawnSite Member

Will the GC let you talk to the owner? Find out what they want, then bid.

10. DVS Hardscaper

Most clay pavers are inconsistent in thickness.

It WILL need to have either sand or mortar under it to allow adjustment for irregularity.

Also, the concrete will have irregularities

BrandonV likes this.