1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning and Maintaining my new Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mloolara, Mar 26, 2005.

1. mloolara

mloolara LawnSite Member

I just bought and used my new 50" Dixie Chopper- Coatesville Classic for the first time. I have the 20 HP Kohler with it and it is a side discharge. Also, I am using the original blades that came on the Chopper so don't know what those are but when it's time, should I buy a different type? Reason being is that I live in Baton Rouge, LA and it is very "wet" here. After cutting today, I used my blower to knock off the grass and pieces of dirt and mud from the top of the deck. I did not spray wash it as I have heard that water getting in the spindles or forcing dirt and clippings into them, can cause more damage than the positive effect of washing with water.
    What else should I do to clean and maintain my mower, especially the deck (both top and bottom)?
    By the way, is there a good jack or lifting device for the Chopper so that I can safely and effectively clean the bottom of the deck?
    Lastly, any other tips on regular maintenance on my ZTR as I have never owned one.
    Thanks in advance and Happy Easter to all!

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Jungle Jims makes a jack for raising up ztr's . i forget what its called but go to www.junglejims.com and look around and you should find it. i think its around $150.