Cleaning and replacing 1-3in River Rock bed

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jrodgers, Dec 19, 2018.

1. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah but it will haul it out and 4 tons of river rock is 100 bucks...So for 300 bucks you have new rock where you want it and you are done by lunch time to go make some money in the afternoon

2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

All true, thats why I said to replace with pavers and throw out rock.

3. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that's kinda why I'm kicking myself should have done it from the start but got to a point where I had so much in....you know. Think I'll just trash the rest and get new. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

4. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I have cleaned as much rock as anyone. I did it by first pulling pulling up three or four wheelbarrows then prep the new area with plastic. Drag the rock on the ground to the new area and use a leaf blower to blow the dirt out as the rock is loosened up. Its dirty work, it isn't good for the blower and it may not be the best choice next to a pool. So in your case look for a rental center that has a rock vac and go that route. As it vacums the rock up it cleans it and the filter will separate the dirt. Either way this work has to be done when things are very dry. I have also seen someone using a GOLD RUSH style trommel that I'm pretty sure they got off Amazon

hort101 likes this.
  5. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Senior Member

That looks about the way I would do it, if I wasn’t installing pavers or buying new rocks. With the addition of a dingo of course. Or find some seriously cheap labor from someone who needs a little cash haha

6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

There's a saying .....
    Rocks in bed-rocks in head
    No offense but rocks=PITA
    Maybe now's the time to come up with a better long term solution

7. jrodgers

Yes just a tad offensive as that saying would imply that I have rocks in my head but ok any ideas on a long term solution? Mulch? That's ok don't need mulch in my pool every week. Pavers as suggested would be decent option but between all my steps being pavers, all my patio and pool area aside from pool apron being pavers, double sided walls, sitting walls, fire pit, granite top bar with paver base, front steps pavers, half a pavered driveway, paver columns etc. I'm kinda " pavered out"...grass? No thanks already have enough grass from the two other sides. As stones may be work to maintain I think they give a nice natural look in my situation. But thanks for the input.

Also thanks for the other suggestions and comments your time is appreciated.

hort101 likes this.
  8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

No offense or personal meant. Just see where rocks are a problem eventually in most places. An example is the crazy amount you'd need to charge a customer were you doing this job for hire.

As for what to replace with ill let you figure that out since you know what you like

jrodgers likes this.
  9. jrodgers

I actually had a customer who wanted this same thing only he want all the rocks removed, disposed of, new fabric, and replaced. Luckily it was in March before things got going and was just T&M.

hort101 likes this.
  10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

If he's happy AND willing to pay the $$$ , good for him