Cleaning Decks Between accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gfwjr2, Apr 9, 2018.

1. gfwjr2

gfwjr2 LawnSite Member

So had an interesting question from client, She asked if I would be willing to clean out the deck before I mowed her Lawn, as to prevent cross contamination (weeds) from spreading into her yard..... With my old mower(Hustler Xone) I would not even think twice and say no, way too much build up, but now with a Scag Vplus deck, I have had very minimal buildup, and said it would be an additional fee of $25, and do it for her.
    Anyone else have, interesting requests?

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I've had the same request in the past. I have and will do it for certain customers, but not for everyone. Cross contamination can happen just from the wind and things like birds, but I have no doubts in my mind that it happens at a much higher rate/pace from mower decks and tires, because I have seen it happen firsthand.

I also understand that some guys have their route so packed/tight, that they simply don't have the time to do it. I won't fault them for that.

3. OP
    OP
    gfwjr2

gfwjr2 LawnSite Member

Not to mention, Her backyard, as of last year was contractor grade seed/weed, so you want to talk about contamination, so I Will try to upsell when I go there to get her backyard completed (sod. or slit Seeded)

Ridin' Green likes this.
  4. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve never had it requested but I do it on my own. I have some customers who have their yard serviced and they have sprinkler systems and take care of their yard. If I go mow a couple of my trash yards that are loaded with crabgrass, chickweed, henbit and the like then I clean it before I hit my nice yards. Sometimes I’m able to mow them in a sequence to where I can do my good yards first and the hit my trash yards but sometimes that doesn’t happen.

gfwjr2 and Ridin' Green like this.
  5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I've tried to do this when I could. What I would like to see is the good lawns cross treat the bad yards and turn them all nice, but it doesn't ever seem to work out that way for some reason.........:D

6. Highland79

Highland79 LawnSite Member

I do this whenever the deck bulks up, can feel it in the weight when you use the deck lift, putty knife and prybar for the deep spots. I know why they call them Gator blades. Been bit a few times lol.

7. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Does she literally want you to scrape the deck or just blow it off?

I’ve never had the request.

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

There was a lady that used to mow in my hood. I saw her spraying something under her deck one day so I asked her what she was doing, Said she always sprayed the underside with alcohol between yards. I said "get the heck out of here" :laugh:. She laughed and told me to shush up.

gfwjr2 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    gfwjr2

gfwjr2 LawnSite Member

Her words were clean out, make sure it is clean, I have cut in three very different conditions with my new Scag, Damp, Dry and Wet, all on the same lawn very lush fescue, there was ZERO build up on the edges of the deck, and maybe one handful total buildup near the spindals. So I dont think it will be a big to do, I just cut her yard first off the trailer. $25 bucks for something I do normally...... Is a bonus in my eyes.

grassmonkey0311 likes this.
  10. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe because the mower isn't carrying over from lawn to lawn like you claim.

dishboy likes this.