Cleaning Diesel tank on F350

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
This is a dump truck so I can get to the tank easily. Attached picture of the sending unit.

KIMG1387.JPG

I plan to suck the fuel out with a pump but I am not sure where the best place to go in. I could remove the sending unit . Another option is to go into fuel inlet. There is a rubber hose with clamps between fuel spout and tank. I don't know what the other outlet is on the top with rubber cap?

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you are having fuel delivery problems you might want to pull the sending unit and inspect the inside of the tank. Ford has had some problems with the coating inside the tank delaminating and plugging the pickup. This is on the cab and chassis dually's with the 32 gallon tanks.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
If you are having fuel delivery problems you might want to pull the sending unit and inspect the inside of the tank. Ford has had some problems with the coating inside the tank delaminating and plugging the pickup. This is on the cab and chassis dually's with the 32 gallon tanks.
The coating is a rust prevention?

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yea I think so. From what I remember the replacement tanks can have the same problem. Someone makes a aftermarket tank that fixes the problem-Titan maybe. It is a bigger problem with ambulances and most guys just pull and clean the pickup every 30k miles or so.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
The coating is a rust prevention?
I would think a rust preventative would be applied to the outside of the tank, not the inside.

Out of the 6 Fords I had, never had this problem. I did have to replace one tank on an '02 that started leaking at the seams.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
I would think a rust preventative would be applied to the outside of the tank, not the inside.

Out of the 6 Fords I had, never had this problem. I did have to replace one tank on an '02 that started leaking at the seams.
metal has to have some type of treatment before fabrication or it will begin to rust.