Cleaning Up Leaves with Trimmer & Hand Blower

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ed2hess, Dec 3, 2018.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Over the years we do leaves by mulching period. Sometimes I use a trimmer to mulch and hqand held blower to round up leaves.You make a big pile and then put trimmer in center and keep working it round and round.

KIMG0328.JPG

Got to keep outside high to keep leaves inside

KIMG0329.JPG

As you go along you can repile

KIMG0331.JPG

Ended up blowing mulched leaves underbushes....protection for winter. I have reduced much bigger piles than this before bagging remains.

KIMG0332.JPG

OZcut, Lithium Man and sehitchman like this.
  2. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Fanatic

Seems to work for you Ed, but have you considered a bagging system for your mower?

Greencuts518 likes this.
  3. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing like smothering warm season turf with loads of leaves. This isn't how I'd approach it. Nor would my customer appreciate the results come next growing season. I've seen too many hacks destroy lawns by over mulching leaves and eventually thinning out and smothering the grass. But if your clients tolerate it, then proceed. Quality is what sets me apart from the hispanics and hacks.

4. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Fanatic

One of the finest guys who builds lasting stonewalls around here is from Guatemala.
    He is in high demand for his stone wall work.
    I know him personally and he is cool.
    Not all 'Hispanics' should be associated with hacks
    I'm not being overly PC here, it's just my experience.

5. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious but what are you using on the trimmer just regular .095 line??

And I agree. Some of the spanish guys here have really good companies. I think more of the white trash junkie when i think of hacks

LawnVeteran likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have mulched leaves for over 40 years thousands of yards....sometimes we have to bag some after mulching live oak trees. We have tried bagging with Walkers and WB with bagging attachments. Nobody wanted to pay for that and we were glad.

Lithium Man and sjessen like this.
  7. petscanning

petscanning LawnSite Senior Member

I run a mower over a pile a leaves a couple of times then bag or rake the left overs onto a tarp and haul away. I believe it chokes lawns out myself. I mulch it mainly to lessen the volume on my trailer

8. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

I apologize. I should clarify illegal hispanics that do not report or pay income tax. I have no problem with green card holder that follow the laws.

9. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

10. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve never used a trimmer for mulching leaves. I usually stray away from mulching residentials, Usually larger commercial sites have a “field” or something I can mulch in. (Around here anyways). I use a mower to mulch and turns out great. I won’t mulch on fescue. How long does the trimmer take? I’m going to try it now just to see!