1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Client couldn't pay his bill, so....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by impactlandscaping, Nov 8, 2004.

1. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

he gave me a 1996 Honda Fourtrax 300 as payment for the work. Rather than go to court over a late payer again this fall, I accepted his quad as payment in full.... Have you ever taken anything as "payment" for an over due / pastdue balance to settle an account?

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

how much $$$ did he owe you?
    ;)

3. impactlandscaping

a little under a grand, Mark..I think I made out OK.I was thinking of selling it for the $$, but I am getting tired of walking to my treestands..LOL

4. GreenMonster

from NH

I don't know a lot about 4 wheeler values, but I'd say you made out ok. You could prolly sell it for a bigger profit! payup :D

5. impactlandscaping

Hey Mark, I just check the blue book value at www.kbb.com

Trade in value in good condition says 1500.00
    Retail is 2305.00

I think I could get 1500.00 out of it easily, but like I said I may keep it. Might come in handy..

6. GreenMonster

from NH

Cool. :cool:

All my huntin' buddies have em, so sounds like you worked your way into something you needed anyhow :)

7. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Then you get the cops at the door turns out it's stolen. lol
    just kidding :drinkup:

8. Joeatv

Joeatv LawnSite Member

Impact;
    Ihave a 1998 4 trax 300 2 wheel drive plus 2 polaris 500 & 700 4 wheel drives. That little Honda is very versitile. I have a plow for mine & it plows very well if the snow isn't too deep or wet. I use them on my property all the time hauling about anything. I think you made out quite well imho. Even though you out in the elements plowing it is fun & easy to make $$$ with. I just throw a couple bags of rock salt on the back for weight & spreading. Good deal.

Joe

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got a 21" snapper (one model under the commical verison) for cutting a lawn just once. It was like new. They were moving and they didn't need it at their new house. (I was 14 at the time) Used it for a year and sold it for $200. The funny part the lawn was only a $35 lawn.

I got $200 worth of free pizza cards for a $100 worth of snow plowing. etc.

I have had a ton of offers. Really good seats at foot ball games, base ball games, etc. A bunch of cheap lawn mowers, riding tractors, etc. But nothing other that was really worth it.

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah that is a good deal--too bad some people here will grill you over that--they think if its not cash its not payment.

I've been given all sorts of machinery for work. Even if it is cheap junk I use it until its no more good to make more money since cheapo stuff is so hard to sell, such as Homelites, Craftsmans, and MTD's. If its nice stuff I use it then sell it for a decent profit.