Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, i just found out today. She passed away Tuesday. Went to mow today and her daughter was here from NJ. She told me what happened and it was quite a shock.

She had lung cancer apparently. Last year she told me that she liked to smoke! Evendetly is was the death of her.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
OK, This the first that died on you?

All part of life man

Last year I lost a cousin, aunt, uncle and 3 very close family friends.

Every month of the year there is a death within my list of clients. I don't even remember how many years this has been going on.

Customers are not family, most cetainly don't become to friendly. Always maintain a business relationship

·
Former Moderator
6,065 Posts
It seems the longer we service the account, the harder it is to hear that the customer died.
We deal with a lot of elderly, so losing customers in this way is nothing new to us. This year we lost too many to count due to death.
Normally we will go on servicing the account for awhile because it takes awhile to get the house on the market and then sold.
Sometimes we even end up continuing our service when the new homeowners move in.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
We lose a couple each year. Everyone here has at least one foot in the grave. This year lost one to cancer, another with a heart attack, and the last one had a different cancer. I still do them all as their wives still live in the homes. It is a bad deal so I at least send a card and if I really like them flowers.:D

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
awful? hay, at least he sends a mass card. i usually just walk in, in my cutoof shorts and boots, and say, "yo, whos in charge here? we got a situation here."

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Goes sort of like this Bobby.

" I sure am glad the old SOB finally died! Now I won't him have lookin out the window while I work! :D :blush: :D

Actually, besides what ever the card says I usually put in something like:

I am sorry to hear about the passing of Mr./ Mrs/ Smith. It was always a pleasure to come to your home and have a little chat with him/ her. If you need any help with anything just give me a call at home and I will be glad to help anyway I can.

Get this. Had this one guy that he and his wife bought the house. I cut it for four months and they maybe spent a week there. He retired, they went to NC to get their sailboat to sail it down. While they were motoring away from the dock the motor quit. He was horsing it back in and fell over with a heart attack. She is 55 and he was 60! You never know.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hey here is another one for you. Use to do this blind old lady. She would write me checks that no one could read. So I just threw them away but kept doing her yard. One day as I was going around her house something did not look right. I knocked on the door no answer. So I started lookin in windows and she was laying dead next to her bed. Had been there about a week! I think I was the last one to see her alive the week before.

Then a few months later I get this letter form the estate trustee. She said that there was about $600.00 extra in the account and noticed that I had not cashed the checks. (the old lady just put my intials in her book). So guess how got a fat check anyway. That was 14 years ago and I still think of that sweet old lady with the crummy yard at least once a week.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a customer pass away a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea that he was struggling with cancer. Out of respect, I went to the house and left a note telling the family that I was sorry for their loss, and that the weeks maintenance was at no charge.

Just an FYI - my customer's family put up a web page on a site called MEM.com

It is possible to leave a note (called a tribute) for the family to read. I left one, kind of a humorous one about finding Marty (the father who died) on his roof cleaning out the gutters and afraid to climb down onto the ladder. It made them laugh and I think it meant a great deal to them that I posted a tribute.

Anyways...check to see if your -old- customers are on there!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.