• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Client Referral Program

mcw615

LawnSite Senior Member
A large landscape firm in town will give $150 cash for every client referral submitted to them that was a success.

I am considering adopting something similar but probably $100 reward for each referral. I believe it will be worth it, I'm sure more customers will be out talking with a good incentive, and each successful referral would be just one less prospect I would have to really sell our company to, plus the sooner I would get them as a customer the sooner our company will make more money and adding to them the incentive of the referral program. It's all about building your network and establishing good relationships.

I just also see Directv offering $100 to you and $100 to the new customer for a referral, which is only credited to your account but still same concept, they would be giving you the cash either way.

Anybody else use something like this and see good returns?

MikeKle

LawnSite Platinum Member
When I was first getting started, I offered customers that referred other customers to me a free service, but I quit doing that a few years ago, as I found myself doing too many free mowings, now they still refer me to other people, but they dont really get anything for it now except a thank you. No one seemed to mind much?

Hoy landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
i would recommend not to give out free money like that. say you will service there lawn 1 time free or discount on another service

OP
M

mcw615

LawnSite Senior Member
Sorry, I should have mentioned we only offer 12 month maintenance contracts and our typical target account for residential would be $50-100/ a mowing on average with other services such as mulch, prune, fert, squirt etc etc. Avg residential act bringing in 250 a month 12 months. I always try and put myself in my customers shoes or think like the customer.. My directv bill is usually 60 a month and I haven't had a directv bill in 8 months and still have a little bit of money rolling over to next month before I have to pay again, if they didn't have the referral program I wouldn't be a walking market for them, I like getting free tv but again everyone is different some people could care less
Posted via Mobile Device

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
We have never advertised in 16 years. And I have no multi-page website.

All of our new work is through our 'Send A Friend' referral program. If anyone would like to see the letter I send out each March telling people of it, I will post it. You might be quite surprised (I'm sure) when you read it. It has literally made me thousands and thousands of dollars.

You might think I am crazier than hell. Then again you may think differently if I told you how many acres of just grass we mow per week, less of everything else we do.

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
Post it, I'd like to see.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
sure rod, i would love to take look, we are putting a referal program together right now for start this spring with the full out launch of our webiste to our customers as a way to communication.

right now, we have dollar amount in creidts to a customers account that coincide with each wervice a new customer contracts for. that is as far is it goes so far. i am wondering now about a waiting period to make sure the new customer makes us some money and does not quit too early to say the least.

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
Hello xxx,

Thanks to many loyal customers like you, 2009 was another great year for me…and considering all things, I am looking forward to 2010 as well.

To keep moving in a positive direction, I’m attempting to spread the word and line up new clientele for 2010. Do you know of anyone who could use me? If you do, I’d appreciate it if you would let them know who I am and what I do.

In consideration for helping me attract new customers, for each one you send that I sign up for mowing following your referral, I will reimburse you a CASH REWARD finder’s fee equal to your normal monthly lawn mowing charge. That’s right, a no-gimmicks, no-strings attached cash reward paid directly to you. It’s that simple. I call it the ’Send A Friend’ referral program. This isn’t a gift card for a store to shop at or a place to eat at. And it’s not a month’s free lawn mowing either. It is simply cash given directly back to you. To be perfectly honest, this is just my way of saying “thank you” for helping me continue to grow.

In the meantime, I hope you’re doing well and will see all of you soon.

Cordially,

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
this letter is sent out on our company letterhead. it is personally signed by me as well. if you will notice, i keep it very low key as a a person to person request, not sounding like some big company marketing effort.