Climate change effects on the green industry?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by KUMA01, Oct 7, 2019.

?

Do you believe in climate change

1. Hoax

50.0%
  2. Yes

25.0%
  3. Potentially it could be a problem

25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

The title states climate change what are some possible effects of this if you believe in it for the green industry’s future? Or will there be no effects? Please let’s keep this CIVIL. And @Michael J. Donovan, @Charles feel free to shut down at your discretion. Thanks!
    In our area the vegetation for power lines ect is just out of control they have had to spray three times this year usually twice is enough for the whole year. I talked to the a crew leader of ABC tree care( specialty in power line clearing right-of-ways ect. National chain) he said the vegetation is growing rapid bc of the Amount of C02 in the air.... so just one story there. I’m sure there are several others some lawn companies in my area are cutting twice a week on some property’s during the mid summer. But now we haven’t had rain in a month it’s been the hottest September in record for our state.... thought and opinions greatly appreciated let’s not turn this in to name calling ect.

Cam15 likes this.
  2. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Everything in cycles, earth (elliptical orbit, not true circle) gets closer to sun, sun emits more or less sun spots, emits more or less uv rays all effects the temps ever so slightly one degree or two. Nothing changes much (in our lifetime at least). More warmth more growth, less warmth less growth. Not man made though......

Dawson, Cam15, Tara Ann and 6 others like this.
  3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Agree, climate changes everyday. If I saw or heard of more than one legit study that shows data proving it's warming a little I would probably believe it. Could industry/civilization have anything to do with #1 if I believed #1, I could also buy into that as well. But I do not believe that it is even possible to contribut to any degree pun intended that could alter the earth. In 1976 time magazine reported on all the climate scientist who said we were 10 years away from the next ice age. So which is it.

I also know plants love CO2. More CO2=more planta growth and less CO2 over the long run as the plants produce more oxygen.

I can't site offhand what follows I'll have to dig it up. We were worried about the depletion of ozone layer not too many years ago. Yet a single lightning strike produces something like a cubic mile of O3 in each strike and there are so thing like 1000 lightning strikes per minute around the world.

Climate ebbs and flows IMO.

Cam15, sjessen and KUMA01 like this.
  4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Do think we humans could do a better job caring for the planet though.

Plastic in the oceans, trash, chemical wastes, clear cutting the rain forests etc. do affect the quality of people's and animals lives.

5. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

I'll add this one thing that could potentially impact those in the green industry... Carbon tax. Well heck it'll impact everyone for that matter. And if one of these is ever implemented you better believe we are going to pass it on to the customer just like every other industry will.

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Hogwash tax!!

Cam15 and RussellB like this.
  7. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

"Vegetation growing rapid because of the amount of CO2 in the air"
    I can't buy that. We all know that there is much more that goes into growing plants than carbon dioxide. And on the flipside, the more vegetation the more Oxygen produced by it.

We (here now) will never see climate change affect the industry. Someday though I am sure that it will since the climate is everchanging as far as science currently understands.

Do we contribute to global warming? Yes. I tried to explain this in another thread but the thread was closed before I could finish. So I will try to explain again.

Think of Earth as a house. The more heating appliances operating in the house the warmer the house will become. We are certainly adding to the release of energy into this big house Earth. The energy on Earth comes from the Sun as we know. All life is here because of the Sun, we are energy.

There has been an abundance of the sun's energy buried under the surface of the Earth over a long period of time. As we harness that energy out of the ground in the form of gas, oil, coal, etc. we are releasing it into this big house known as earth. We are running more heaters in this house you could say.

Energy doesn't evaporate or disappear when it is used. All of this energy coming out of the ground adds to the heat of the energy that is currently being produced by the sun.

The more heaters operating the warmer a house will be.

Vegetation and life of long ago has acted as a storage device of the Sun's energy from long ago. So now that we are releasing this from the ground it adds to the energy of the Sun today, meaning that it will be warmer.

8. OP
    OP
    KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

^i like that simple to understand.

9. adkinslawncareobetz

adkinslawncareobetz LawnSite Member

One of the seven men that created the weather channel said he did extensive research on climate change. He said he found zero evidence if climate warming or change. I have lived they the new ice age, holes in the o zone, acid rain, global warming, and now climate change. Climate has always changed, from the first ice ages and thru the global warming and the ice ages again. Greenland used to be green, it used to be green in the anarctic. Man did not cause the global warming then nor are they now. It is always the same folks lining their pockets with bogus research. I will never believe it.

Cam15, Myers Lawn Care and KUMA01 like this.
  10. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

All sources of fuel combined, wood, coal, oil, gas etc that mankind has burned in the last 200 years since the idustrial revelotion began, is less than 1 hr of the sun's out put.
    Has the climate changed?
    Yes indeed. And as those newly formed glaciers melt in Greenland, they ar exposing old Viking settlements from 600 yrs ago????
    So apparently it was at least this warm 600 years ago if the Vikings had villages back then.
    And yes I was alive back in the 60s and 70s when popular mechanics, national geo, mother earth news and (all) reputable scientist's predictions of eminent doom by the new ice age.

Que será, será
    Whatever will be, will be
    The future's not ours to see
    Que será, será…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.