Climate change effects on the green industry?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by KUMA01, Oct 7, 2019.

?

Do you believe in climate change

1. Hoax

50.0%
  2. Yes

25.0%
  3. Potentially it could be a problem

25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

I thought it was important in this discussion to mention some of the environmental benefits that the turf grass industry provide.
    The following bullet points are taken from this website:https://www.pennington.com/all-prod...atural-lawns-benefit-you-and-your-environment
    1. Natural lawns purify air and improve air quality.
    2. Turf grasses trap and store carbon that might otherwise contribute to global warming.
    3. Natural lawns generate significant amounts of life-supporting oxygen.
    4. Lawn grasses cool themselves and their surroundings, reducing home cooling needs.
    5. Natural lawns purify rainwater and improve groundwater quality.
    6. Natural turf reduces runoff and helps recharge underground aquifers.
    7. Turf grasses reduce soil erosion caused by water and wind.
    8. Natural lawns and lawn clippings increase beneficial soil activity, recondition soil and improve soil quality.
    9. Well-maintained, natural lawns reduce the risk of fire hazards and help slow the advance of wildfires.
    14. Natural grassy outdoor areas can improve physical and mental well-being.

So, we can be proud and spread the word about the benefits we provide. And keep in mind that there is always room for improvement.

2. phasthound

3. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

Humm, apparently I am wrong about that. I have heard and seen many knowledgeable people claim that it isn't. That just goes to show that we need to look something up before we pass it on, there is just so much misinformation about global warming floating about these days.

I still do have a problem with the graph you used to show CO2 increasing. Firstly that all it does is show that CO2 is increasing. Secondly, there are real problems with using ice core CO2 data to claim that CO2 is causing atmospheric warming.

Recent research has shown that "The rise in CO2 that began in 1860 is most likely the result of warming oceans degassing." and that " The anthropogenic contribution to the carbon cycle since 1860 is minimal and inconsequential.

That's from this article https://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/12/26/co2-ice-cores-vs-plant-stomata/

The NOAA Temperature graph you used also has problems because it uses the neat trick of selectively using only a small portion of available temperature data.

There is a very good twelve-minute video illustrating how that is done with a lot of other published global warming data. Check out.

Myers Lawn Care likes this.
  4. phasthound

This discussion can go on forever without a consensuses. I can only state that I believe humans have degraded our planet in the last 200 years and that the full consequences will be felt by the next generations.

I hope we find the wisdom to take better care of our home.

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  5. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Man is at war with nature! Who do you think will win?

KUMA01 and phasthound like this.
  6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Atmosphere of Venus is something like 90% CO2. I believe this was one of the original so called "green house gas" planets. It's a cool 874 degrees Fahrenheit.

7. kemco

And I believe humans in the last 200 years have gone from reading by dim candles, outhouses because of no plumbing, to putting men on the moon, cell phones, uncountable leaps in healthcare and modern medicine, standard of living and length of life almost doubled... Etc. Yeah I'll take the latter and lose a few feet of shore line if needed.

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  8. kemco

I realize this won't mean much unless you have operated a planted aquarium with a CO2 injection system. I have. It's down right now i dont have time and now fish long died from old age. How do we get the plants in the aquarium to grow at obscene rates? We literally inject straight CO2 into the aquarium. Tanks of CO2 that's it. It doesn't get any simpler. You see the results almost immediately. Then the plants put what... Yep u guessed it O2 back into the water and the fish are happy and grow big

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  9. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

The sun is millions of miles away so we don't get the full output. The energy we pull from the ground is right here.

Not saying that it is not natural for climate change. We definitely have to be making the Earth warmer imo. Does it even matter, I don't know.

10. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

I am not going to argue that the Earth loses heat, but would like to compare it to a house. A house loses heat too, but the house will become warmer as you turn on more heaters. And if you have ice cubes stored in the house, they will start to melt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.