Climbing Ladder = Higher Price?

StearnScape

LawnSite Member
Customer asked to have this hedge topped 3 feet and then shaped just on the left side ( havent talked to the neighbor on the right I will only be cutting on my clients left side of property) The original gardeners only hedged where they can reach on their monthly service. I told them this would be a seperate project seeing I will have to get on ladder to do job. Also, there are three power lines going through hedge ( I'm sure i can prune without hitting them, but there is some added danger). This was the price I thinking 2 guys and a dump truck $830.00....Job may take 5-6 hours with clean-up and dump fee..How much does your price go up as you climb ladders? Is there added costs with obstacles to concerned about (ie: power lines) Please comment on my price, to low?

hedge bid.JPG

OP
StearnScape

StearnScape

LawnSite Member
I marked in yellow how the power lines go through the hedge. They go pretty low near the car port, around chest and head height at that point. I think both neighbors need to get together and talk this one out, considering the main part of hedge is on the property of the neighbor on the right. The neighbor on the left has many suckers that been growing there a long time. I could recommend just cutting to the fence line which is 3ft inward and then cutting upward.

hedge 2.jpg

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
The power company is responsible for maintaining those lines, so give them a call, tell the owner to call them. If they mess it up it's on the power company (tell owner). It is very dangerous (maybe) to work around power lines. I had a power guy tell me that at my house, had a tree split mid trunk and a maple tree leaned on my supply side power line. I cut some of the limbs to relieve tension on the line. He told me that if there was a nick in the protective coating the electricity will travel to me, the cutter. So take that for what it's worth. But have them do it, they will clean up and you can charge the owner for fixing it.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Who cares about ladder work being extra. This is a dangerous situation. Who let them run a power line like that? They need a pole and the line raised to a safe height. As Hal said if there is a nick in that coating (which there very well may be from branches rubbing on it) and you bump your trimmers into it or even bump a branch into it with your trimmer it may be all over with for you. Do some google searching about people getting killed that come into contact with power lines. Call the power company and address this situation. Take this upon yourself to do because the homeowner most likely won't.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes call the power company...but generally speaking the lower lines are cable TV, landline phone, etc all 12v. Not that you want to cut through them because it's on you. But yes I have run into a situation where the actual double 120vs were low into shrubs. And I don't go near them. You on a ladder is the quickest ground the voltage can travel. No bueno.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Two ladders and a long wood plank is betting than shuffling up and down, and I wouldn’t touch it for 800...