Climbing/trimming training in the south???

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by Mowingtexas, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Mowingtexas

Mowingtexas LawnSite Member

OK ok, so I know we'll get some guys that say, "what are you tied off for, isn't that a shrub you're trimming?" har de har funny stuff. We do come across some taller trees here in Texas, and people want to hire the few that are qualified to work in them.

But seriously, has anyone found any training in south of Missouri for serious tree guys? I was about to go to Vermont for a tree felling course, but found one in Missouri, so I'm headed there next month.

As far as serious climbing techniques, it looks like Calgary, Alberta is the place to go. Has anyone found anything closer to Texas?

So far, I've had some courses at rock climbing places to learn the importance of knots and basic rope work, but other than that we're climbing on... shhhhh, youtube knowledge! Hey that has been VERY useful in our learning! HighInATree.jpg

Dr. Cornwallis likes this.
  2. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I live in Florida and don't know where to go to learn the specifics of tree climbing. Honestly, though, most stuff seems to transition over from other disciplines and other stuff is somewhat common sense, you tube and the internet helps fill in blanks. You tube has been a really good rescource for me. I also have good knowledge on ropes, knots and hardware from my job at the fire department and I've noticed most of the tree climbing equipment and techniques are the exact same as we would use in high angle rescue stuff.

3. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns Banned

I wish I would have grabbed a card for you. I was in Pinnacle Arborist Supplies yesterday and they had some cards at the desk for climbing training in the south. You might call them and get the phone number. Again, it's Pinnacle Arborist Supplies in Little Rock, Arkansas. Very neat store if your ever up that way, being your not too far away. If you walk in there, I promise you won't leave without emptying your wallet. It's a few rooms just completely full of everything you could possibly want from saddles, sling shots, biners, ropes, rigging devices, lanyards, throw lines, everything. They have everything and anything you could possibly want climbing wise in there. One thing I would suggest from your picture, is please find yourself a helmet! I've used Petzl, Kask, and a few others. Petzl's tend to move around. The Kask helmets are great and have saved me on several occasions. It's probably one $150.00 investment that could save your future. Take that advice kindly.

As far as training, I'm in the same boat. I've been self taught for a while now. I wish I would have found some training early on, but I feel self teaching yourself off of videos is a good thing. One of the most important things I learn when climbing was paying attention to your surroundings and trusting your equipment. Self teaching yourself to climb, will force you to do both of the above. Be careful to not get to addicted. I've been doing it for a few years, and now I absolutely hate picking up new mowing clients, and love picking up new tree clients.

4. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out your local state university satellite campus. We have one in pa called Morris arboretum and it’s actually penn state university. Also with climbing it’s a learn as you go. Ascending a tree is one thing, ascending in a quick manner with a chainsaw and rigging is another.

5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The best thing you could do is get a job with a reputable tree service .
    I can tell you it's one thing to watch YouTube and another to go buy the gear, get up a tree then do the work.
    It's all about being comfortable in the tree and that takes practice, practice practice .