Clumpy Ammonium Sulfate

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Coachbob, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Senior Member

we have some bags of AS that have some large hard clumps in them. Anybody have any tips on how to salvage the hard clumps? I’ve broken them up in the past but these seem to be pretty hard.
    ABCE38EF-CC14-4AB2-B7E7-29618C95632C.jpeg

2. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Potato masher!
    Seriously though you can spread that as dry granules? I didn't even know that I always sprayed it.

Sifting thru hardware cloth on a frame will work.

3. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Ammonium nitrate :cool:

Coachbob likes this.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Can you move them to a hot and dry area? Phoenix comes to mind. Heat might drive the moisture out.
    Maybe a few minutes in a rented cement mixer.

I know guys that use the lumps by throwing them under bushes and trees to fertilize the trees. Dig a small hole under the bark, if needed.
    Would probably make good ice-melt in winter.

Failing that--maybe you can melt them down in water--and apply as a liquid fertilizer. Just keep the water high and the rates low to avoid the chance of fertilizer burn. 3 gals of water per thousand and a half-pound of nitrogen per thousand would probably work--if your temps are below 80.

You local fertilizer plant has probably seen this many times--they will know what to do. Reprocess it--somehow.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Coachbob likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Senior Member

Riggle, you are always full of.... good ideas.
    I DO like the liquefying idea. I have a jet agitator in my sprayer. Maybe I’ll test out blasting it that way.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

With jet agitation, you have to have an irrigation screen basket or some kind of screen to keep the fert particles from plugging-up the filter and pump. Squirt it with a hose as best you can when starting out filling tank.
    May need to use a canoe paddle or paint mixer in a drill.
    Or, maybe you can let it sit in the tank overnight, might be clear in the morning. Maybe a small submersible fountain pump overnight would help to keep a small circulation going. After that --use the canoe paddle. Do you have a rowing team? Kayak club?
    Hope this helps, Coach.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019