1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

cobalt simplicity

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by helmlawncare, Jun 9, 2009.

1. helmlawncare

helmlawncare LawnSite Member

Just asking if anyone has one or knows anything about how they mow?

2. helmlawncare

No one has an opinion on this mower??????

3. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

dont know about the cobalt, but i have been using the next model down, a citation 52" for the last 2 weeks while my mower has been in the shop for a warrenty issue...the mower im used to using is a 2006 60" exmark lazer or 2007 scag wildcat

my buddy has the citation for his 1 acre home, which it does a nice job on, i dont think it would last long in a commercial world

the hydros seem weird, as in not as powerful by any means, while the speed is there, say, going from forward to reverse to do a k turn it doesent respond well, i have to pull the lever all the way back to get reversing then let up so i dont do a burn out....which it does a lot, even when slowing down quickly in forward, the 21hp vanguard motor seems like enough power to get the job done...though the measly 6.5 gal tank gets me through 3/4 of a day before needing to refill, which gets annoying

another problem was the deck, im used to cutting my lawns on a 1 week cycle, which proves to be too much for this mower...every mow i do i need to double cut, as between the first and second blade, it leaves a windrow of clippings it cant get to discharge, i cleaned and fluidfilmed the deck, put new mulcher blades on, and also recently went to high lifts to help this problem out, and it still leaves the clippings, so a double cut is needed to disperse. if the lawn is sparse, its not noticable, as the roller kit leaves a nice stripe.

another plus is the cupholder and the ride, the suspension makes for a less sore back at the end of the day

dont know what a new cobalt costs, but id invest in another brand of commercial type mower...hard for me to say, as im a simplicity guy who grew up on a 17hp hydro soverign cutting 5 acres every week...that tractor and i had been through everything till the kohler finally got tired, some 25 years later

4. helmlawncare

Thanks. I noticed the hydo was funny! I think the sim is a little heavier but i think a bad boy or scag is more what i need!! the sim is around 8900. But i can get a used tiger cub for 7000. well think i just answered my own question. Lol Thanks