• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Coil failure

prezek

LawnSite Senior Member
Briggs 23 vanguard 386777 on a Scag tiger cub

mower died last week. Traced it to BOTH coils having failed. All grounds have been cleaned up...I found a piece of metal under my shroud that broke free from the fly wheel cover...I thought somehow this shorted out the coils...mower ran great for 2 days, and now I believe both coils have failed again...what simple thing am I over looking that could be giving feed back through the system to fry the coils both at the same time? Ignition switch?

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Trace the kill wire back to the ign sw. check fer any chance of shorting to 12v+.
Test the ign sw. : Remove trigger wire from start sol. Then unplug the kill wire at coils and check fer voltage as you cycle the key thru several times. Use a pointy test light at the switch M term. ( Kill wire ). Then hook solenoid trigger back up and start / stop a few times. ( Hook a temp kill wire up to the coil/s, just touch it to ground to stop the motor ) Should have no voltage at the kill wire... zero.
Probably is the ign. switch but it only takes a few minutes to test it ,

OP
prezek

prezek

LawnSite Senior Member
Trace the kill wire back to the ign sw. check fer any chance of shorting to 12v+.
Test the ign sw. : Remove trigger wire from start sol. Then unplug the kill wire at coils and check fer voltage as you cycle the key thru several times. Use a pointy test light at the switch M term. ( Kill wire ). Then hook solenoid trigger back up and start / stop a few times. ( Hook a temp kill wire up to the coil/s, just touch it to ground to stop the motor ) Should have no voltage at the kill wire... zero.
Probably is the ign. switch but it only takes a few minutes to test it ,
Thanks. I’ll try today.