Lawn Care Forum banner

Cold Weather Starts with Propane

14K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ed2hess 
#1 ·
Should these propane units be harder to start in winter compared to summer?And if so what can you do? Keep the tanks in warm area for example?

#3 ·
Is it a vapor system or a liquid system?
A vapor system. We can't get enough vacumn from the Kohlar provided carb. So we hooked it to the fuel pump but still not enough on cold day.
By cold I mean 25F. Is it possible that I could simply suck on the tube to get it started? I think I will try to put a vac pump on it. Once the unit gets started and runs it is okay for the rest of the day. Let it sit over nite and I have to grind down the battery again.

#4 ·
It doesn't take much vacuum to open the lockoff. You can suck on it.

I'm wondering if the cylinder is mounted correctly OR if you are using a forklift cylinder.

is it freezing-up anywhere?

Also, make sure you open the cylinder valve slowly to not slug the excess-flow valve.
I have three units running on propane and the other two don't have any
problems with the set of tanks I am using...but is there a way to identify the
forklift tanks? I can post pictures of the tanks. I see no freezing up any where. I do slam the valve open so I will try doing that slowly. I got my brake bleeder pump ready for tomorrow. Right now we are using the fuel pump but what about just hooking directly from the vac line going to the fuel pump to the reg valve?

#5 ·
I have three units running on propane and the other two don't have any
problems with the set of tanks I am using...but is there a way to identify the
forklift tanks? I can post pictures of the tanks. I see no freezing up any where. I do slam the valve open so I will try doing that slowly. I got my brake bleeder pump ready for tomorrow. Right now we are using the fuel pump but what about just hooking directly from the vac line going to the fuel pump to the reg valve?
I'm sure McCoys should be more than able to tell you if you are using the right tanks or not.. (assume you got them from there?)

#6 ·
We have had some rare problems of the regulator's freezing inside. Not enough to show visable signs, but enough to have issues starting and shutting off. While the unit runs it will actually start to backfire and then turn off. Once that happens it won't run for 20 minutes or so. We had to replace the regulators on these units.

#7 ·
Well this morning at 32F it wouldn't start so I took the hose off and sucked on it and the unit started right up. This is simple case of needing a little more vacumn. So where to I manufacture more vacumn? We first tried to use the port on the sepecial propane carb then we hooked to the fuel pump. So if I hook to the vac line going to the fuel pump will I get more vacumn?

By the way after sucking on it to get it started I hooked the hose back
up to the fuel pump and then it continued to run. I don't want to suck on the hose all day.

#8 ·
We have had some rare problems of the regulator's freezing inside. Not enough to show visable signs, but enough to have issues starting and shutting off. While the unit runs it will actually start to backfire and then turn off. Once that happens it won't run for 20 minutes or so. We had to replace the regulators on these units.
Arbor, I hear you are looking into some propane trucks ? Do you think it will be to your advantage being our propane costs here are so high ? Are you also looking into propane powered mowers ?

#9 ·
I am located north of Dallas. From my experience with our school buses, it is harder to start propane engines in cold weather. We have about 60 propane-powered school buses. In cold weather, say below 40 degrees, it takes a LOT of cranking to get them going in the morning. The newest buses have a wait- to- start feature on them. It takes about 12 seconds for the light to go off, then they do start with somewhat less cranking. I am not sure what exactly happens during that wait to start period of time.
If the batteries are even a little low on charge, you can forget about starting these things on a cold moring without a jump.

#10 ·
Well this morning at 32F it wouldn't start so I took the hose off and sucked on it and the unit started right up. This is simple case of needing a little more vacumn. So where to I manufacture more vacumn? We first tried to use the port on the sepecial propane carb then we hooked to the fuel pump. So if I hook to the vac line going to the fuel pump will I get more vacumn?

By the way after sucking on it to get it started I hooked the hose back
up to the fuel pump and then it continued to run. I don't want to suck on the hose all day.
I'm curious what model regulator you are using. On certain models, everything you described can be explained by a incorrectly adjusted "idle" screw on the regulator.

Scott

#14 ·
I couldn't resist. Great choice of wording. Lol on a serious note. How are u liking the propane powered machines?
Posted via Mobile Device
I really dont know why I am changing the units over. We bought two used units that both had propane then I took a 2000 hr unit that I put a short block on and converted it. We think maybe it might give us a little edge on some commericial properties or at least we are on par with the big guys. With the tnks full the units really float along, meaning front is really light. The units seem to have more hp but don't know if that is true. I hoped we could save a little money but that didn't happen unless I can go longer between oil changes. I do kinda hate luging the tanks in every week
to get propance when the gas place is 110F in the sun. Some guys coment that we must be really rolling in the dough because we got propane on but whatever.

#15 ·
Depending on the unit, weight is added to the front to balance. The conversions don't necessarily weigh more, but depending on where you mount the tank(s), it can change the center of gravity.

The problems you're experiencing are (unfortunately) very common for those attempting conversion on their own. I deal with this almost daily. There are entirely too many companies using propane successfully to discount it's effectiveness in not only saving money, but helping the environment and reducing our dependence on foreign oil.

Ed, you live in Texas where, with all the incentives, you could have your conversions done without charge. I'd be happy to send you the info.

I'm not sure why you are lugging tanks around. Typically we supply a locking rack and tanks to exchange.

Ed, you're working entirely too hard! ;-)
I don't think we have any program for old units. You know with this gas prices continuing to drop I might have to convert them back. The one that I am having trouble starting(without me sucking) now runs on all kind of slopes and it runs fine on startup on cold days. I went 2000 hrs and couldn't get those problems fixed. So I am a happy camper. I cut all today the grass
and WEEDs are still growing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.