Lawn Care Forum banner

Coleman Fuel

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  motodude 
#1 ·
I have a gallon of Coleman fuel sitting around, would it hurt anything to run it in a mower or truck just to get rid of it?

#3 ·
Here is some information on a FAQ Coleman Fuel Site. Sounds like it would be best to find someone who could use it for the intended purpose.
Wayne

Coleman fuel is basically petroleum naphtha with a bit of rust inhibitor. It has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and none of the additives found in gasoline. It has a lighter molecular weight than gasoline, kerosene and diesel fuel and cannot be used as a substitute for any of those fuels. The flammability of Coleman Fuel is comparable to gasoline but it cannot be used in gasoline engines. It will burn out the valves.

#7 ·
Statman.....Don't do it. Coleman fuel is made specifically for use in the camps stove and lights. It is extremely volatile and will explode. Octane ratings have nothing to do with it. If you can't use it for the purpose it was made for, take it to your fire department for disposal. I spilled some as I filled a camp stove tank. The vapors got inside of my clothes and when I lit the camp fire,thankfully not the stove, the vapors ignited. It was just a flash, but I lost my eye brows and the hair on my hands and arms. Made for a great story around the campfire but it scared the living cr@p out of me. Taught me to respect so called 'white gas', alot!

Jim

#8 ·
white gas has the same volatility as gasoline from the pump. the flash could have happened with gasoline.

coleman fuel burns super clean, but no octane, you could run premium in your car, dump it on top of a full tank, and probably be ok. mowers are air cooled, and a little pinging will destroy them in short order.

#11 ·
Plus im sure theres plenty of things around the kitchen you could use if for.

#12 ·
Back in the late 70's, on a multi vehicle trip down to Key West, my buddy's 3/4 ton Econoline van ran out of gas, with not a filling station for many miles. The other 2 vehicles in our posse were also running a bit low, so siphening was not an option. The van got several gallons of Coleman poured in, and made it to a gas station further on down the road, albeit running kinda rough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.