Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been landscaping since I was 15 and have since had two rounds of thyroid cancer (one reoccurrence). Scientifically glyphosate has been strongly linked to thyroid cancer but has not been proven successfully in a court room. If you look at thyroid cancer data individuals in the landscaping industry are trending (I’ll post source when i locate it). These chemicals have affected me personally and I know what they are doing to our environment.

An idea I had when I was going through cancer was to build the largest company in the area (which I have since achieved) in order to achieve leverage and start telling a narrative to our large commercial maintenance accounts that we are switching to organic products. Educating these accounts that your grass isn’t going to be emerald green for a few seasons until the root microbiome of your lawn changes. Being the biggest in town with no one else in town able to handle servicing the account they’d have little choice and then maybe the standards would change.

I love this industry, I love plants, I love seeing peoples faces light up with an install transformation but I am starting to despise the environmental impacts between excessive water usage/chemicals/ pollution and I’m starting to question my ethics of profiting from it. I feel like we should be at the front lines safeguarding the environment.

Let’s hear your ideas on how we can start changing our industries dependence on environmentally damaging chemicals…?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I am more worried about the amount of glyphosate that is used in the production of our food.

The amount of chemicals used in lawn care is nothing compared to what is used in farming

Farmers buy glyphosate in 280 gallon totes and then go spray 400 or 500 acres of round up ready soybeans or corn. Did you know wheat is often sprayed before harvest to make it easier to harvest.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am more worried about the amount of glyphosate that is used in the production of our food.

The amount of chemicals used in lawn care is nothing compared to what is used in farming

Farmers buy glyphosate in 280 gallon totes and then go spray 400 or 500 acres of round up ready soybeans or corn. Did you know wheat is often sprayed before harvest to make it easier to harvest.
I agree! There is plenty of evidence it could be the largest cause of Americas gut and digestive problems.

·
Registered
18,976 Posts
Government knows best.......they ok'd all these chems and drugs and all the things we use, drink, eat and we rely on their judgement to correct it all.......what a crock of shyt......

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yesterday I headed out to work and saw the state spraying brush killer along the roadside in a blast that looked almost like a firehose, roughly 400 yards from the river. Called the wife and told her not to let the boys play outside that day. I still get ill anytime I come in contact with the stuff. Gives me a sore throat and respiratory congestion within hours. Oats, Soybeans, Wheat, all grown and sprayed down before harvest. I have started using the vineger stuff when I have to spray and telling customers that's all we do. I'm small, but if enough of us stop using, maybe things change over time.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Just a quick question....
When they treated you for cancer (which I am very sorry to hear that you had that and went through) did they use chemotherapy? Or did they treat you with only wholistic (organic if you will) remedies?
And thats the last post from Mr Baker. Its a honest question and I'm glad I didn't see what led to the ban. He did seem to be trying at making his responses not so abrasive and has some tremendous knowledge of equipment. He will hopefully do a couple weeks in lawnsite jail and be back.
Ok the original post is a great discussion and I'm a little surprised the direction it is going..

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Equating treatment of cancer to having a nice lawn. Whoops

All the large companies here have gone organic. The sky didn’t fall. One of the few places pesticides are still allowed is golf courses.

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
Collectively, there are numerous companies & folks profiting off of the manufacture and application of said chem-o-cides. Economics says this can't be 'rid'.

Just a solo mower here...and there's a growing part of me that says to restructure my clientele to folks who don't use chems.
Herbicides for weeds, fungicides for fungi & pesticides for insects...and mowing the dried residue briefly aerosolizes it.

Reactions: hort101

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
And thats the last post from Mr Baker. Its a honest question and I'm glad I didn't see what led to the ban. He did seem to be trying at making his responses not so abrasive and has some tremendous knowledge of equipment. He will hopefully do a couple weeks in lawnsite jail and be back.
Ok the original post is a great discussion and I'm a little surprised the direction it is going..
I'd sure like to know why J. Baker was banned. His observations and comment are both very reasonable.

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Just a quick question....
When they treated you for cancer (which I am very sorry to hear that you had that and went through) did they use chemotherapy? Or did they treat you with only wholistic (organic if you will) remedies?
guessing that insinuating that it’s hypocritical to use organic applications your customers lawns when you accept non organic cancer treatment played a part.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't feel that comment was out of line.

His point was we need some chemicals for some uses, and it would be foolish just to ban chemicals
I agree. What’s the deal Lawnsite?
Someone has a reasonable question and u ban them?
BTW. After the decision on the 2 most publicized cases which both came out of lefty Marin co. California against Monsanto; guess who renewed the licensing to use glysophate again?
Most of the countries in the world. Look it up
Please show me where there is scientific proof that showed glyphosate causes cancer

·
Registered
18,976 Posts
I agree. What’s the deal Lawnsite?
Someone has a reasonable question and u ban them?
BTW. After the decision on the 2 most publicized cases which both came out of lefty Marin co. California against Monsanto; guess who renewed the licensing to use glysophate again?
Most of the countries in the world. Look it up
Please show me where there is scientific proof that showed glyphosate causes cancer
You joined 11 years ago and now this is your first post????? Whatup wit dat?

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
I’ve been landscaping since I was 15 and have since had two rounds of thyroid cancer (one reoccurrence). Scientifically glyphosate has been strongly linked to thyroid cancer but has not been proven successfully in a court room. If you look at thyroid cancer data individuals in the landscaping industry are trending (I’ll post source when i locate it). These chemicals have affected me personally and I know what they are doing to our environment.

An idea I had when I was going through cancer was to build the largest company in the area (which I have since achieved) in order to achieve leverage and start telling a narrative to our large commercial maintenance accounts that we are switching to organic products. Educating these accounts that your grass isn’t going to be emerald green for a few seasons until the root microbiome of your lawn changes. Being the biggest in town with no one else in town able to handle servicing the account they’d have little choice and then maybe the standards would change.

I love this industry, I love plants, I love seeing peoples faces light up with an install transformation but I am starting to despise the environmental impacts between excessive water usage/chemicals/ pollution and I’m starting to question my ethics of profiting from it. I feel like we should be at the front lines safeguarding the environment.

Let’s hear your ideas on how we can start changing our industries dependence on environmentally damaging chemicals…?
So, getting back to the point you are making; I whole hardily support the direction you are going. Been in the industry for decades and have gradually moved away from the pure chemical approach successfully by concentrating on improving soil health and sound cultural practices to reduce disease and insect damage. https://turf.rutgers.edu/research/reports/2007/251.pdf.
The goal is to focus on growing healthy turf rather than concentrating on controlling insect and disease.
While the heavy dependance on chemical pesticides is still the norm, the industry is changing towards a more a more sustainable approach.
Both the NJLCA njlca.org and NJNLA https://www.njnla.org/ have been very active in promoting ecofriendly landscaping.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
This will take government intervention. There are areas here where these chemicals are outright banned. Five years in, neglected lawns have more weeds no doubt but between aeration, proper watering, over seeding and organic apps, the people that want a decent lawn have one.
Legislate common (i.e. "cosmetic") pesticide use out of existence the way that Canada has....

·
Registered
23 Posts
You joined 11 years ago and now this is your first post????? Whatup wit dat?
Busy with life brother
I thought i was posting a few days. Maybe not
Been in the green industry over 30 years
Done most of it from maintenance, install , sprinkler repair trees work, chemmie and organic apps,
Seen alot of changes
Which includes the glypho stuff
And the infamous beek kill in Oregon which is where Im from
Didn’t mean to ruffle ur feathers

·
Registered
18,976 Posts
Busy with life brother
I thought i was posting a few days. Maybe not
Been in the green industry over 30 years
Done most of it from maintenance, install , sprinkler repair trees work, chemmie and organic apps,
Seen alot of changes
Which includes the glypho stuff
And the infamous beek kill in Oregon which is where Im from
Didn’t mean to ruffle ur feathers
No feathers ruffled at all, agree with post, just seen lately people who registered have years before they post

1 - 20 of 294 Posts