Commercial Accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TaketheMoneyandRun, Oct 25, 2009.

  1. TaketheMoneyandRun

    TaketheMoneyandRun LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

    Is insurance neccesary for an LCO in order to "bid" on commercial Accounts. Is that income have to be reported to uncle sam. Also would writing a letter to the commercial account(Dr Office/Church) be beneficial towards getting the job. All the while at the same time Im NOT trying to take bread out of anybodys mouth.
  2. JB1

    JB1 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,904

    no insurance is not needed and the government doesn't care whether you pay any taxes or not.
  3. TaketheMoneyandRun

    TaketheMoneyandRun LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

    I appreciate your answer. I know it is illegal to not pay taxes. But you have to do what you have to do. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a requirement to have insurance for a commercial account. I know it is possible to get away with not having insurance on residential accounts.
  4. JB1

    JB1 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,904

    ahhh you don't have to do anything, you could get away with murder nobody looks.
  5. TaketheMoneyandRun

    TaketheMoneyandRun LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

    Take The Money and Run.... It is what it is. No disrespect to you at all. Im not planning on going full time. And I figure what ever 150-200 I make Per Day. Uncle Sam dosent know nor do they care, Im small potatos.
  6. JB1

    JB1 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,904

    yeah, what the hell.
  7. CkLandscapingOrlando

    CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 652

    Dude I have to carry a million just on my truck. Another in liability and 2 more in umbrela. Are you fricken serious? Why dont you go get some boarder jumpers while your at it. Then you'll have a perfect tri fecta

    Let that mower pick up a rock and throw it threw a window. Hit that old lady in the head. You'll never ever own anything again. Let a limb fall off your truck. Yea your auto insurance aint gonna help pay. And they'll drop you. Then let that comercial property get an audit and throw your non tax paying behind in the mix.
  8. stevenf

    stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,612

    Yes, commercial acounts will require proof of insurance and most will require workers comp on yourself even if your solo. Commercial accounts will not pay you cash. They write payments out to a business to enable them to have there own tax write off.
    I have heard of different cases where a business got audited. The IRS went searching for some of there expenses and traced it down to a lawn care company. the lawn care company got audited and penalized for not reporting that income.
    Dont be stupid.....!!!
  9. mowerbrad

    mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,268

    Think of it this way...If you are mowing a property and something were to happen and something gets broken or someone get hurt, you need something to cover you. That is where the insurance comes in. Typically a $1mil policy is enough for most commercial properties and should cover just about anything that might happen to you, unless...

    You are mowing and you accidentally shoot a rock out of the mower, the rock hit a child riding his bike on the sidewalk. That rock hitting the kid caused him to fall into traffic and get struck by a semi. The semi (in trying to avoid the kid) swerved into the other lane of traffic, hitting an on coming car head-on. This head-on collision also caused another car to rear-end the car that struck the semi. That accident left the kid and 3 other people dead and 2 others seriously injured. And this whole incident was caused by your rock being thrown from the mower. In this case that $1mil insurance policy (that you should have) is pretty much worthless.

    ....just something for you to think about.
  10. 1wezil

    1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn
    Messages: 532

    OK THEN ....

Share This Page