1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by LMS-nc, Feb 10, 2020.

1. LMS-nc

LMS-nc LawnSite Member

Selling season is going to be here before we know it!

What are some tactics to sign up commercial accounts? I’ve done all the norm as far as residential advertising goes but I’ve found it hard going to other places of business and actually making it to someone “in charge”. The commercial accounts I do have are through landscapers and I’m the sub.

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Use the search function and you should have all your answers. Tons of threads about them

Doc8406 likes this.
  3. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Silver Member

Somehow you have to meet/know the property managers. Look into joining your local Chamber of Commerce.

Cam15 and LMS-nc like this.
  4. frederick_dante_guerra

frederick_dante_guerra LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Networking is very important!

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Ironically

I find it comes down to which bar you hang out in and who you buy drinks for.

I don’t drink so I’ve never been good at that
    But it seems the people who get work they don’t even have any business doing, got their by “schmoozing”

you don’t get to people in charge because you’re likely talking to people who have never met them themselves and/or you look or present yourself like someone they wouldn’t bother introducing to their boss if they did know them.

your company needs a name/reputation first

then you introduce yourself as “bob from bad ass turf pros” and heads turn.
    You’ve got their attention

you don’t just sit on a catapult and fly over all the competition
    “Bob from bobs lawns”
    No one cares
    No one has heard of you
    You have to earn your stripes
    Then schmooze and steal all the cherry work

6. frederick_dante_guerra

frederick_dante_guerra LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

This is so true, especially in a resort town where I am located. We already have our commercial accounts we are happy with. My boss has done so many favors for people. Word of mouth is worth 1,000 brochures!

It also amazes me when people get jobs that they simply are not equipped to handle.

We have a list of VIP clients that we simply just do not say no to. If they want light bulbs changed in sub-degree weather, we are there.

We have a commercial account that is $1,700 per mowe... We got that job because the owner was able to help that property manger out in a time of need. One hand washes the other we have found.

7. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

It’s about who you know. I maintain estates and larger properties all those people run in the same circle word of mouth is huge also we have a vip list as well just yesterday I pulled out 12 old crab pots at low tide full of muck and barnacles for one of my top paying clients.

Cam15 and frederick_dante_guerra like this.
  8. Tyler Keddy

Tyler Keddy LawnSite Member
    from Ottawa

Hello ... What do you mean $1700 per mowe? Thanks

9. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

He gets paid $1700 every time he mows the property.

10. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

We do very little large commercial work. The few we do, the property managers basically either had our service at their house, or found us some way or another. We don't mow, so we don't get much in the way of commercial. If they call us, it's because their mowing company sucks w/ fertilizer/weed control.

We are always more expensive on big lots, so If we get work through property managers, it's because they value having a green, thick lawn, not just lowest price.

My favorites are the single commercial properties, owned by 1 person not a property manager. Those are incredibly hard to find though.