1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by LMS-nc, Feb 10, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    LMS-nc

LMS-nc LawnSite Member

This. I’ve got 2 million or so sq ft of commercials, it’s the most peaceful and enjoyable 2 mil I got. I find commercial accounts are much easier to deal with, easier to get paid. And they aren’t the retired customer that has all day to stare at lawn and wait for a single nutsedge to sprout.

I get it, residential is where the money is at. I’d take 100 2-5k yards over 5 commercials but I’m trying to find a sound way to acquire the BIG money makers. Not just your HOA and apartments but athletic fields, universities, etc.

I hear all you “if you build it, they will come” guys. Yeah, I’m not established on lawnsite but I’m pretty well known in my area as far as a turf provider goes. Just trying to turn that corner.

2. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

The longer your around, the more work you'll do, only a matter of time before you do work for the right person. That person could have you do work for their commercial site. That person will tell his other commercial buddies about you. It can be like a snowball effect at time.

To get in with big properties if you dont know them though, sometimes just dumb luck? Rubbing shoulders at bars? Attending city meetings? Not sure

3. Wolfgang

Wolfgang LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

We do a lot of hi end commercial work, I believe its the quality of the work and reliability are key to getting noticed, we also set up our commercial accounts to pay a fixed amount for 12 months so even on the "off " months we has an income.

BrandonV likes this.
  4. Tyler Keddy

Tyler Keddy LawnSite Member
    from Ottawa

Do you get federal work with duns ?

5. Wolfgang

Wolfgang LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Based in another part of the world but our breakdown of work would be 50/50 between government and private sector

6. Tyler Keddy

Tyler Keddy LawnSite Member
    from Ottawa

How do you collect commercial property through what sites? In just wondering how I do mine differently.