• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Commercial accounts?

Lawnman3456

LawnSite Member
Hi everyone,
I am already looking ahead to the 2021 season and would like to land at least one commercial account. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I know it can be hard competing with the bigger companies.

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
With some of them it's easy, be the lowest bid. Quality of work may be unimportant.
This seems to be the case often! Hahaha .. it’s about networking . It takes a lot of time. One would think it wouldn’t be that difficult but it is and half the time it’s more of a headache than anything..

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Hi everyone,
I am already looking ahead to the 2021 season and would like to land at least one commercial account. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I know it can be hard competing with the bigger companies.
What is a commercial account going to do for you.
Why do you want one?

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
What is a commercial account going to do for you.
Why do you want one?
Good question. U can make a ton of money on full service residential properties. Maybe it’s just the idea of thinking ur a big boy company or it could be just the envy or the money is amazing. I was the same way before I got commercial properties. I assumed there was a lot of money to be made in them. It’s the exact opposite..

starry night

LawnSite Platinum Member
Hi everyone,
I need to ask this question every time someone refers to a commercial account.
What do you consider commercial? HOAs? Industrial? Retail? etc etc
What services are you providing? Mowing only? Full service?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Good question. U can make a ton of money on full service residential properties. Maybe it’s just the idea of thinking ur a big boy company or it could be just the envy or the money is amazing. I was the same way before I got commercial properties. I assumed there was a lot of money to be made in them. It’s the exact opposite..
I can be
It can’t be

Commercial is something to park employees on
You need them say 2 days out of the week for the cherry picked resi accounts you have
But resi doesn’t llike mon, Tuesday or Wednesday
So you do commercials because if you only did two days a week you wouldn’t have employees

You CAN do trashy resis (but lots of head aches) or you can do b grade resis on those days, you could also do projects on those days.
Commercial is an option
Not an answer
There’s no “key to success” through commercial

IMO there’s a lot less hunting for your money on commercial
They tend to pay via habit

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
to be honest I hate commercial accounts. Just remember when you have an apartment complex or something along those lines your gunna have 50+ sets of eyes watching your every move all the time. IDK i dont think its necessary for the business to grow IMO but to each is their own!

Skol

LawnSite Senior Member
Billing can be annoying, but I find commerical properties to be fairly easy to upcharge with other services.... And, usually no one bothers you while you're working.