Commercial accounts?

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Billing can be annoying, but I find commerical properties to be fairly easy to upcharge with other services.... And, usually no one bothers you while you're working.
Def agree the people not staring out the window or standing in the drive while
Ur mowing is nice! Smh I like my commercial accounts. I chased to many in the beginning and under bid some of them. But now I have them and have had them for some years I like the fact that I can mow them at 530am in the summer at day break.

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
Hi everyone,
I am already looking ahead to the 2021 season and would like to land at least one commercial account. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I know it can be hard competing with the bigger companies.

Join your local chamber of commerce. Take the time to go to the various meeting and meet and greets. Networking is how your going to get into commercial. Espically the smaller properties.

Do you have a website? Make sure your optimized so propertiy managers can find you.

LonestarLandscaping1

LawnSite Member
Hi everyone,
I am already looking ahead to the 2021 season and would like to land at least one commercial account. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I know it can be hard competing with the bigger companies.

Yes, network, join BOMA, and send a lot of bids with a lot of followups to people who do not reply, until the week before they need you. Also, understand your market and who you are going after.

dkswift

LawnSite Member
We’ve grown our business into 7 figures based on apartment complexes. There’s all different types of commercial accounts.

HOAs are easy/medium difficulty to market to, but they have a good amount of hand holding due to dealing with all owners. Everyone thinks they have a say. Some of these can be fine.

Office/Retail are easier to market to(at times), but are almost all solely focused on low dollar bid. You don’t want these.

Government bids are another ‘commercial’ option. They’re strictly focused on the low bid, but there’s side work you can gather by breaking even if you build relationships there.

We highly recommend apartment complexes. If you can get A or B class communities(basically 10 years old and newer), the clientele and management are great to work with. Renters deal with the manager so you only have one point of contact instead of hundreds like an HOA. They do have high standards but if you do good work, the $ is there. This is where we thrive and I recommend going towards, if you have the sales ability.

Skol

LawnSite Senior Member
We’ve grown our business into 7 figures based on apartment complexes. There’s all different types of commercial accounts.

HOAs are easy/medium difficulty to market to, but they have a good amount of hand holding due to dealing with all owners. Everyone thinks they have a say. Some of these can be fine.

Office/Retail are easier to market to(at times), but are almost all solely focused on low dollar bid. You don’t want these.

Government bids are another ‘commercial’ option. They’re strictly focused on the low bid, but there’s side work you can gather by breaking even if you build relationships there.

We highly recommend apartment complexes. If you can get A or B class communities(basically 10 years old and newer), the clientele and management are great to work with. Renters deal with the manager so you only have one point of contact instead of hundreds like an HOA. They do have high standards but if you do good work, the $ is there. This is where we thrive and I recommend going towards, if you have the sales ability.

This advice seems pretty accurate from my experiences as well.... Feel free to not answer this, because it could be somewhat personal, but what kind of salary do you expect from yourself running a 7 figure business? As opposed to what kind of salary you may have took when the business was bringing in lower numbers?

dkswift

LawnSite Member
This advice seems pretty accurate from my experiences as well.... Feel free to not answer this, because it could be somewhat personal, but what kind of salary do you expect from yourself running a 7 figure business? As opposed to what kind of salary you may have took when the business was bringing in lower numbers?

@Skol I don’t mind talking about it. I’ll message you.

dkswift

LawnSite Member
Also, when I say ‘sales ability’ I don’t mean be some Facebook sales machine. I had never done sales in my life prior to this, but it’s not rocket science.

I just mean you’re able to talk to people, know how the work is done and communicate that, communicate with them at a respectful level (call and email them back in a timely manner... you’d be shocked how many people can’t do this), and do what you say you’re going to do. Don’t blow smoke, just be honest with people and keep your word. That also means set clear expectations for what you can and can’t do when they ask you.

Top Forums