1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial lawn accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by Tyler LaMilza, Sep 7, 2017.

1. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

Must be an east coast / mid west thing because that wouldn't fly out here in CA. If you pay any slower than 30 days you're looking for a new maintenance contractor unless you have a contract that states otherwise.

SRT8 likes this.
  2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Chicago

All of my commercial accounts reached out to me first. All said they found my info online. Never had a major problem with getting paid by any of them. The only delay I have had was my own doing by not getting the right email for billing. It only cost me a week delay and was still paid within 45 days.

3. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    RussellB and JLSLLC like this.
  4. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

I've only got two commercials; my HOA and my son's school. I sought out the HOA when I first started and the school approached me this year. The school's payments have been spot on. Invoice sent, check comes home in son's back pack. The HOA? Last month I chased payment for three weeks. The kicker is the treasurer lives five houses away and sees me every morning as he's walking his dog and I'm hooking up my trailer.

Commercials are dominated by the large companies in the area. Not really tooking to enter that world.

5. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

6. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD/NC

Same here in MD.

I only take them if they work for me and my business model. I actually just lost 1 today- it was a church where literally every member acted as if they were the lawn inspector. Every month was a new complaint or a new area we needed to mow. Glad that's overwith.

7. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have encountered a little bit of every single post on this thread. Each company goes through growing pains and changes. Most really really experienced lawn care owner operators will tell you to run as far as you can from HOA's. I have kept a really balanced mix over the past ten years. I am getting out of the HOA side of the business. I only have one left. Know your numbers. Know what it costs for you to operate. Identify the type of customer you want. Then identify how you can reach that customer through marketing.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

No maybe to it. In the SE many are slow payers. Slow to the point of driving LCOs out of business

SoCalLandscapeMgmt likes this.
  9. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

Yeah. That nonsense doesn't fly out here. In 40 years of being in business we have never had to wait more than 30 days to get paid on commercial maintenance contracts..... even when we were doing county and municipal work.

Charles likes this.
  10. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

O