• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Commercial lawn care education at college

JCLawn and more

LawnSite Fanatic
I was wondering if any of you went to college for this. If so, where? Do you think it helped you? I don't live to far form Michigan Sate and I have considered going to college for this. I was wondering if it is worth the money.

FourTrees

LawnSite Senior Member
If you are looking to go the education route look into getting a bachelors degree in business with a minor in horticulture.

And yes any education helps; whether it is formal college, seminars, community class, or personal research.

FourTrees

LawnSite Senior Member
Accounting is great. I was in that program for a couple of years and as you will also take plenty of other business class in that program it is a great idea. I wanted to go more towards entrepreneurship than accounting so I switched half way through, but both had very similar classes required up to about the second year.

I still would recommend the minor in horticulture, if you enjoy or want to pursue the grounds maintenance portion of a career.

I know that many jobs such as head grounds keeper for major organizations or cities would look highly upon an individual with business degree, minor in horticulture, and field experience.

OP
J

JCLawn and more

LawnSite Fanatic
Ya, I love it so far. There is a lot to learn, I don't know anything about as far as keeping everything green. I would like to learn about how to maintain the grounds and not just cut the grass. I think horticulture would be good.

jtk47

LawnSite Member
I am in the landscape construction program at Mississippi State, I love it also. We are in the same department as Landscape architecture so we get alot of design experience through the program also. In our program we get a minor in business and take many plant materials, soil, and turf classes. We also take bidding classes and irrigation classes directed straight at our industry. I feel that it will help help me in the industry as I venture into it in May. The big thing would be to just check the curriculum that the university offers. I know we always face Mich. State at the Planet student career days and seem to be well represented. If anything else let me know..

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
Michigan State has a Turf Grass Science program, you could do that as a minor to your accounting. They have quite the options for classes. I actually considered going there for their Turf Management program and do that as a minor, but I ended up going the medical route and started my EMT-paramedic training. But MSU has great farming/ag programs, some of the best around.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
i have a degree in turf managment and hort, and it def gave me an advatage over the competition when it comes to understanding turf issues. a better perspecitve than most, and i truly believe my customers can tell that when they talk to me.