• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Commercial Lawn Care

locutus

LawnSite Bronze Member
Use the search function. This is a topic with lots of history. Also welcome to Lawnsite.

The best tool that I have found is a portable belt sander with 120 grit belt.

The flat foot of a belt sander makes sharpening any blade at the same factory angle a breeze. Plus they do not get the blade as hot as when using a 4 or 6" angle grinder.

Tip time:
Only grind on the same side that the blade was origianlly ground on. It gives you better cutting results.

Myself. I will even sharpen new blades to suit my taste in sharpness. :p

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
I have the Lesco (Neary), but dog GONE is it slow! Something I DID do to my grinder, was put a longer piece of steel on the table (approx. 8" by 2 1/2"), to better stabilize the blade as it runs through the grinder. Otherwise it just teeterd to much, and didn't get a clean, consistent edge. If the blades are all set at a decent angle, and it's just used for touching up relatively decent blades, it's fine. However, if there is a knick or something in the blade, and some has to be taken out of it, then this grinder is way too slow. When I first got this grinder ($30 from a friend that used it once, and parked it to buy a RBG), I took all my blades over to my friends shop, and set the bevels on his 1012-C. Now, THAT'S a grinder!