1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

commercial lawncare

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Jan 18, 2000.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

There is a Encore 48in., 18hp Vanguard ZTR in the local paper for $3500. It has 100 hrs. and has only been used residentially. I am only a part-time lawn-care person( work 300-400 hrs. a year). Do you think this mower is suitable for me? Is the quality of an Encore comparable to an Exmark? Do they perform well? How fast are they? I am about to test it out in a couple of days so I'll know the majority of what I need to know, but I would appreciate your knowledge and opinion

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

You're talking about a ZTR rider, correct? If it's the one I am thinking of they sell for about $5000 new around here. I am not sure about their reliablity for commercial use. However only asking 300-400 hours a year is not that much. I've only seen 2-3 people using them around here. If you seriously consider this mower, make sure you a have a dealer locally to get parts for you. <p>I think they will run about 7-8 mph.

3. Jay Raley

Jay Raley LawnSite Member

I can't really say whether or not this is a good piece of equipment but make sure you research it before jumping in. I am in the market for a ZTR (a back-up for my Exmark) and I really want a Dixie Chopper. My dealer here isn't budging and I am not in the position to drop a chunk of change on the thing so I went looking. Check out www.traderonline.com. It is all of the online listings nationwide for the &quot;Trading Times&quot;. I think I have found a couple of good deals but I am still exploring my options. <p>----------<br>Jay Raley<br>The Good Earth Grounds Management

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Jay,<br>A Dixie Chopper to &quot;back-up&quot; your eXmark Lazer?<p>Now I'm smiling :)<p>Wait 'til Eric reads this!

5. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

lazer do you mean that dixie is more reliable or the other way around.

6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

No, I'm just funnin'<p>Eric and I have a friendly banter about what machine is better. He does do a beautiful job mowing with his Dixie Choppers so I'm not being too critical, but I think we all know the Lazer's better. :)<p><br>

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Lazer, I was busy last night and missed this one. Bdemir, what Lazer meant was Choppers are the best. You have it right!! :)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>