Commercial license up date

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Landrus2, Feb 10, 2014.

  1. B-2 Lawncare

    B-2 Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 263

    I have a class A with air breaks tanker doubles and hazmat endorsements, and" TTS" is right its been a federal law for a long time that you need a D.O.T. medical card.
    How did you get your class A with out a medical card?
  2. Landrus2

    Landrus2 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,049

    The new law is if you have restriction (K) on your license up have to up date to (A3*k). Hey B-2 lawncare are we on the same page here:waving:
  3. B-2 Lawncare

    B-2 Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 263

    I was just thinking about this, I haven't driven anything bigger than a pickup in more than five years, so it would be a funny site to see me get back behind the wheel.
    I have kept my license up to date because it would be expensive to get it back, and keeping the hazmat endorsement is a huge pain to keep updated. And it cost $120 every two years to reup my D.O.T medical card.
    All of my trucking experience comes from the oil field, big truck over loaded with 10 speeds.
    You know the fun stuff laying in the mud under a truck put chains on in February when its below zero.
    I was a zone isolation supervisor in the oil field and don't miss all of the headaches that come with the job.
  4. unkownfl

    unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,837

    I just let my hazmat go because of the cost. Company I work for doesn't need it and they contract out hazmat stuff to begin with. The point I was going to make is that you can give up your CDL which is what states are wanting you to do with these new med rule IMO and get class E license and you can have your CDL reinstated when you need it here. The advantage here would be to be able to take driver improvement school instead of points for traffic citations and the cost of keeping your CDL complainant. I can't speak for other states but here they will give it back to you when you re qualify for it without having to test again.
  5. B-2 Lawncare

    B-2 Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 263

    I have never even herd of a class E, here if you give up your CDL you have to re test both the paper exam and the driving portion. I am not understanding the last part of your reply. I guess you are talking about tickets and insurance costing more with a CDL.
  6. TTS

    TTS LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 615

    I let my hazmat go about 6 years ago when they started the fingerprinting and background check. I have tank and doubles endorsement on mine
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. unkownfl

    unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,837

    class e is our normal license. anything up to 26k
  8. J&A Lawn Care

    J&A Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 436

    in NC no DOT physical then NO CDL's. It depends on a lot of different things when getting your physical on how long your DOT physical card is good for. Your card can be good for 3 months or up to 2yrs depending on your health.In the past they did not push the DOT physicals but now if you do not get the physical then they will suspend your license. BTW I have my class A's

Share This Page