commercial license????

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kev-lawn, May 22, 2005.

  1. kev-lawn

    kev-lawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 18

    What are the weight limits of truck and trailer that determine if it is categorized as commercial or not? :help:
  2. procut

    procut LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,852

    26,001 pounds and higher.
  3. JB1

    JB1 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,904

    Make it easy on yourself, contact your state D.o.t.
  4. mosmgras

    mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC
    Messages: 270

    I'm not sure about your home state but in North Carolina any vehicle can be classified as 'commercial' if it is being used for a business purpose. At 10,000 lbs. GVWR you are required by the federal DOT to have a DOT number. At 26,000 lbs. GVWR you are required to have a CDL to operate. The 'taged weight' of the tow vehicle must account for the weight of the vehicle itself and the weight of anything being towed. Hope this helps.
  5. jimslawns

    jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 283

    Please check your local gov't regs, but in addition to what others have said you must have a class 'A' CDL on trailers that are greater than 10K GVW. A chaffuers (sp) is required when ever driving for hire sometimes called a class "E" license. If you are employing drivers for you company they need to be properly licensed in case there is accident or something worse, lawyers will have a hayday with an improperly licensed operator :rolleyes:
  6. wushaw

    wushaw LawnSite Member
    Messages: 61

    Most states have CDL category and NON-CDL category.
    You need to check what your state laws are.
    I have a class A NON-CDL that I use to pull my 21,000lb fifthwheel with a class 7 truck for non-commercial application.
  7. Metro Lawn

    Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,116

    In Michigan, any vehicle used for a business can be considered a commercial vehicle. This doesn't mean you need a CDL to drive it. If you have a combination of vehicles with a GVW of over 10,000 lbs you need to have GVW plates on the truck. Example: 1/2 ton p/u with a GVW of 6800 lbs plus a trailer with a GVW of 3500 lbs equals a combined GVW of 10,300 lbs, would need GVW plates, but only a chauffer lic. to drive. You can get by this by not having any lettering on your truck, but if you use an open trailer, that's a dead give-away. Almost any combination pulling a tandem axle trailer (gvw 7,000 lbs) would put you over.

    this may help
  8. Eclipse

    Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,149

    I just inquired about this a couple weeks back. As stated, in MI and towing a trailer you need a Chaffeur's license. If over 10k you need to have a med card too and have annual inspections on the truck and trailer and a maintenance log. Gross weight plates are required as well as a US DOT number and your company name, city, state, and DOT number are required to be displayed on the side of your vehicle in at least 3" tall letters.

    How many people actually follow through with all this, very few obviously.

    At a minimum, I would at least get a chaffeurs license and probably plate your truck with a GVW plate. I have know people to get pulled over for not having their name and address on the truck but nothing was said about the lack of a DOT number. The times that I have been pulled over, while working for another company, nothing was said about the lack of the name and DOT number on the side of the truck, but the officer was real fussy about my lack of a proper license and our insecure load.

Share This Page