• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Commercial loyalty

Bunton Guy

LawnSite Silver Member
I've been on this board since about 7-8 years. Nearly everyone has preached for years that commercials have no loyalty and that they will take the next guy down the block for $1.00 less per cut.

I'm not sure about you but I've not seen this to be true around my neck of the woods. I've been laying it on thick lately with the sales pitch. Going door to door and sending letters out & following those up with phone calls. I tell you what 9 out of 10 companies say they are happy with who they have....doesn't matter to them if im cheaper they are happy and want to stick with who they have.

Last week I called over 200 properties that I personally had driven past in the last few years and written their address down and so far have contacted all of them. None are willing to take bids even if its cheaper.

I've talked with a couple of my commercial clients that have said they get weekly phone calls & guys stopping by to give them a price. Same as everyone else they tell them to buzz off. I asked them why they didn't enquire to see if they could get a cheaper price. All of them replied that it was easier to stick with our company because they knew what they were getting and knew they wouldn't have any trouble working with us, contacting us and getting what they paid for. They said they never know when they hire a new person if they are going to even show up much less do the work they paid for.

I doubt any of this means anything to anyone I just wanted to get my opinion out there and hear what some of you guys/gals have to say?

JayD

LawnSite Silver Member
I have done the very same thing you have about calling on them and they wont even give you the time of day......They wont even talk to ya....

But, I can see their point....

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
They said they never know when they hire a new person if they are going to even show up much less do the work they paid for.
That nails it, just like with mechanical repairs I take my stuff to the folks I can trust,
cost is always an issue and I really would like my engine back tomorrow but even
when it takes them 6 months... Nobody can simply undercut my regular guy and
expect that to win me over.

Here's the sick of it:
>>> do the work they paid for.

That implies these funny jokers are demanding payment upfront,
worse yet it sounds like the customer's experience talking.

Sign of the times if you ask me.

Last edited:

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
This is just my personal experience. The personally owned businesses like Doctors offices, Lawyers, ect......... seem to remain loyal [as long as they are happy]. I have several that have not even looked for bids in years and have known people trying to give them one.
The ones that I worry about are the one that are not privately owned. Some of these have to have a minimum of three bids per year. Some I have kept and not been the lowest and some I loose. This has been a real bad year for some of my non private commercials. One that I have never been the cheapest on was told to go with the cheapest this year, however the purchase manager did give me the opportunity to match.

And the ones I really hate are the ones that change managers all the time. Some I can get along with great and then 3 months later comes "Mister Big Chit" that is going to change the world and then they are gone in a couple of months.

zturncutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
This is just my personal experience. The personally owned businesses like Doctors offices, Lawyers, ect......... seem to remain loyal [as long as they are happy]. I have several that have not even looked for bids in years and have known people trying to give them one.
The ones that I worry about are the one that are not privately owned. Some of these have to have a minimum of three bids per year. Some I have kept and not been the lowest and some I loose. This has been a real bad year for some of my non private commercials. One that I have never been the cheapest on was told to go with the cheapest this year, however the purchase manager did give me the opportunity to match.

And the ones I really hate are the ones that change managers all the time. Some I can get along with great and then 3 months later comes "Mister Big Chit" that is going to change the world and then they are gone in a couple of months.
This has been my experience as well.

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
I found that alot of the locally owned commercial properties stay with the same company year after year. And I will guarantee that the company they are staying with is quite expensive. But it all seems logical when you think about it.

Its exactly like when you find a mechanic you like. Once you start using that mechanic, your not very likely to switch because you know that the your mechanic does good work and will do the job right.

fiveoboy01

LawnSite Silver Member
My experience says that if a commercial customer likes you, they won't even entertain a bid from someone else, even if it might save them some money. Exception being an order from "up high corporate" demanding cost cutting measures in any way possible.

Other than that, if the service is horrible(not doing what you say, bad communication, hurrying through jobs) then it's pretty easy to lose them.

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
My experience says that if a commercial customer likes you, they won't even entertain a bid from someone else, even if it might save them some money. Exception being an order from "up high corporate" demanding cost cutting measures in any way possible.

Other than that, if the service is horrible(not doing what you say, bad communication, hurrying through jobs) then it's pretty easy to lose them.
This is the winning answer....:clapping:

Scagmower48

LawnSite Senior Member
Same here, I tried to get some more commercials this year, and I haven't even submitted a bid yet. Everyone is not taking them or they are happy with who they have. Thats fine with me because I would not want to win a bid just because I was cheaper. I know the two commercials I have don't take bids. One was with a LCO for 25 years before their quality went way down and the other commercial was with someone for 20 years before he moved away. I do plan on bidding on a school in town even though I know I won't get it. Just figured I try.

hornett22

LawnSite Senior Member
I've been on this board since about 7-8 years. Nearly everyone has preached for years that commercials have no loyalty and that they will take the next guy down the block for $1.00 less per cut.

I'm not sure about you but I've not seen this to be true around my neck of the woods. I've been laying it on thick lately with the sales pitch. Going door to door and sending letters out & following those up with phone calls. I tell you what 9 out of 10 companies say they are happy with who they have....doesn't matter to them if im cheaper they are happy and want to stick with who they have.

Last week I called over 200 properties that I personally had driven past in the last few years and written their address down and so far have contacted all of them. None are willing to take bids even if its cheaper.

I've talked with a couple of my commercial clients that have said they get weekly phone calls & guys stopping by to give them a price. Same as everyone else they tell them to buzz off. I asked them why they didn't enquire to see if they could get a cheaper price. All of them replied that it was easier to stick with our company because they knew what they were getting and knew they wouldn't have any trouble working with us, contacting us and getting what they paid for. They said they never know when they hire a new person if they are going to even show up much less do the work they paid for.

I doubt any of this means anything to anyone I just wanted to get my opinion out there and hear what some of you guys/gals have to say?
things may be looking up.