Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
From my experience, commercials have a budget they need to spend on grounds. Some things which they have done are not 'necessary', but still need to be done, ie lets say trimming shrubs 4 times per year, which you wouldnt do at most residentials. Also, no one seems to bother you on a commer. prop. You could be there 4am sunday morning, or 9pm sunday night. Maintenance at most commercials run the gamut.......include everything. I do both.....both have their pluses and minuses.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
What is the myth commercial properties are so much better than residential?

Am I missing something here, only difference is most are business and not single family dwellings.
Just that...a myth, fable, fairy tail, dream, unfounded belief, you name it etc.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Hmmm...............

Never knew there was any stigma attached to commercial accounts.

Any and all accounts are equaly valued.

Whether it be commercial, industrial or residential. How well your business reputation precedes you and how well you can sell is the "Myth".........;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
the best thing about commercial accounts IMO is, they pay year round.

any and all commercial properties we deal w/ are billed on a monthly basis(set fee for the month for general grounds keeping). pruning, mulching, snow removal, de-icing, that is all extra on top of the set monthly fee.

for example, if a hotel pays us say $3,000 a month to keep the place looking top notch, they could be looking at over $10,000 on top of that $3,000 if we get a lot of snow/ice.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
KenH hit the nail on the head.
We "pick" our commercials very carefully. The only myth I've heard about commercial is that they are extremely price sensitive. Personally, I have not had a problem with losing one to a lower bidder. We spoil the krap out of the commercial customers so much so that they know they won;t get that kind of service and quality elsewhere.(and they are paying for the "spoiling" even though they dont realize it.)

One of the Geesers here on LS had a saying something like... "Under-promise and over-deliver." That theory works real wel...l at least for us

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
in my situation I need both.

the big money makers are small commercials related to the service industry. actually, big time money per hour when you look at it that way.

in the ratio of commercial to residential, the commercials are less than half.

GEO

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am constantly underbid on commercial accounts around here. These are the same companies that overbid on residential. It seems whenever a commercial property comes up to bid, everyone drops their pants for them and why? They usually take their time paying and have little loyalty as they bid out every year regardless. This is what I have experienced anyway.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I believe commercial accounts are more forgiving when dealing with new help. No vinal siding or sudden plantings without being marked. Also many comms. are multiple hours which is less winshield time. No mansions here!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.