Commercial site pipe install

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Nvtreesnick, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Nvtreesnick

Nvtreesnick LawnSite Member

So I don't have any experience pulling pipe just trenching. This is my first major install. I'm installing a 2in main 1in laterals. All pvc (spec'd). Also no multi conductor wire all #14 and #12 common. The material I will be installing in below the topsoil is a mix of top soil, clay, gravels, and what ever construction trash gets mixed in. Would you guys still pull through that crap? My only concern is gouging pipe and wire. I'm leaning toward trenching. I'm hydroseeding when I'm done.

Russell MiniTrencher likes this.
  2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

Ultimately it depends on the type of machine you have to pull. What kind of machine do you have?

I personally have pulled around 300,000 ' of pipe but for the Tybe job your describing I would be trenching. Simply because our outfit isn't equipped for commercial projects / large projects to use a puller.

Through the soil conditions you are describing I totally would pull through that

3. Nvtreesnick

I will be renting. So you have no problem with pulling pipe and wire through gravel/rock? You ever pulled 40+ individual wires at one time?

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

I believe it can be difficult to pull through that kind of soil if you are new at using a puller, hell I kicked my ass the other week trying to pull through pure clay on a rainy day.., 30 + min to get through 60' when at times you can do 60' in 30 seconds pulling. As with anything your experience is going to give you the advantage . Ride alongs are much tougher/brute then walk behinds and can get the pipe deeper- though you are limited with space as they are bigger.

Unfortunately I don't have experience with pulling 14 Guage ... 40 wires. If you pre-pulled with a 2" bullet and then did the wires I could see that doable, the setup would take 10,000 times longer then pulling the wire in.

Being that this is your first ' Major ' Install. This sounds like a large commercial job and in my opinion it's probably best to stick with what you know . I would pvc trench the project and try another day for using a puller.

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

From the factors you mention I think you'd be better off trenching. It's what you're familiar with and I'd imagine pulling 2" is not easy even if you done it before under ideal conditions which you don't seem to have.

6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Mitch about trenching the main and wire. With single strand you will likely won't be running all the wires the whole way. You will be dropping some at valve locations along the way. Pulling doesn't allow for this very easily unless you have a chute blade that can handle all your wires. If you are renting anyway why not rent a trencher/plow combo machine and try pulling the laterals? If it doesn't work you can still always trench the whole thing. If you do pull make sure you have a good sized bullet and do a dry pull if it is really hard ground this will increase your success.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody has mentioned pipe burial specs. Plows normally don't give you 18-24 inches of cover, do they?

8. Nvtreesnick

The other thing is 80% of the heads are sprays. Most in tight areas ( islands and medians, fences ) 1 zone alone is 28 sprays on one side of a median and 20 on the other side. That will be a lot of cutting, glueing, and digging. I thought about pre digging the holes with a mini ex and pulling through the holes. I wasnt happy to see that it was specd pvc laterals.

9. Nvtreesnick

Ya that was another thing. I figured I would need a larger machine to pull 2in at that depth. Which I don't think I have room for.

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Trenching seems to be best here with all those heads.
    My next machine purchase is a trencher for the dingo.
    Ripping N Tearing through the bullsh!t.

I would trench and spend the $$ on a back-fill blade.