Commercial Walgreens Properties Maintenance

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by OneManLandscaping, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

We used to do a bunch of Walgreen's, before they went the NSP route. That's also when they cared about how their properties looked. Now they all look like crapholes, just like Rite Aids always have.

Never bothered bidding them once they took it away from the store manager.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I cross out and write over contracts all the time.
    And yes some of them we get
    It alll depends if there’s suckers below you waiting for their “big chance” or not

The nationals have already agreed to do the work
    If they can’t find suckers they have to deal with your demands

Eventually the suckers won’t be able to perform
    Either the payments string them out too far or like last year the snow on the east coast was heavy enough and the NSP had strung out the suns so hard Johnny and his rent a wreck couldn’t keep up or even show up
    For some reason I was getting copied on all the panic emails....
    I responded to a couple because it was funny “we charge door to door to come help... the price from Alaska might not be to your liking”
    We stopped getting cc’d
    Bummer it was entertaining ...

Eventually they do tidy bowl themselves into a problem

JackMcCartin and LPSiowa like this.
  3. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

You live in Alaska, so I am sure the bench is a lot smaller to pull from. Just got a tip from a friend that some slum sub contractor is bidding on what I bid on who lives 4 hrs away and trying to get other contractors to fulfill the bid. Trying to skim some of the fat off when there is no fat to skim lol.

hort101 likes this.
  4. TPendagast

Male

I get tired of repeating myself on this,
    I do not only write or read contracts in Alaska and have frequently flown down to personally show up and negotiate contracts on the behalf of others.
    When tens of thousands of net is on the line a couple thousand bucks is a solid investment if it’s something you don’t have experience with yourself,
    More often than not it prevents a very costly mistake over the course of a contract that can run 3-5 years.
    Much more often I can read an emailed pdf
    Make my notes and comments
    Possibly a conference call or Skype
    Send off an email or two and it’s all done.
    No need to waste the air fare.
    Only time I actually show up anymore is when someone lacks the confidence to deliver.

So where I live isn’t relevant.

hort101 likes this.
  5. JCLawn and more

from MI

Well what you say is relevant. Name a large national property management company that you have negotiated the terms of liability in a contract outside of Alaska. You say you have done it before and so far I have yet to come across a company who writes their own contracts in house. They hire law firms to write them with the backing of their insurance company which my local insurance company is constantly updating my policy to be compliant to specific wording. So I am really curious if a large national company was so desperate that you could yank then around for once and waste their time, money, and exposure to make a custom one off contract.

6. TPendagast

Male

You don’t yank them around

National companies bid properties they never saw and never sent anyone to look at
    They are using and bidding abstract which is essentially a spread sheet of what these properties bid out for last time, then they decide where they can squeeze last go arounds numbers and “win” the bid from the other national company,

Problem for them comes once they WIN
    They are already on the hook for the work contractually
    Unlike a national company like brickman/brightview they have no ability to perform the work themselves.
    They have to get SOMEONE to do it.

There’s always someone cheaper only goes so far, they can get someone to do it , but can they perform?

These contracts have been whittled down and down and down over and over again,

When you cross stuff out on their contract they may chose to shop around
    But they also may not find anyone and then HAVE to take the concession you stipulated.

IF they don’t perform on a single aspect of the national contract they can risk having the entire contract yanked from them and then awarded to the next highest bidder OR the owner has the right to go to local vendor and get them to perform the work and the original National is on the hook (via a performance bond) to pay for the difference in price.
    Have that happen more than once and you can loose your ability to even get bonded.

I know for a fact that situation has happened more than once in the last several years.

It doesn’t matter if yoire in Alaska , Detroit or Modesto
    If no one close can perform for this scope at that price, the National is going to eat it.
    Because they’re not going to take the hit on the overall contract and/or their performance bond.

I don’t name customers or affiliated contracts anymore than lawyers, doctors or psychologists do.
    Most contracts have both non competes and non disclosure agreements in the body of the agreement to begin with.

But suffice to say I have specific ire for a certain national that keeps trying to put dents in everyone.

7. TPendagast

Male

Some examples I can think off my head.

Contract states that “blowing off the parking lot is included and in incidental”
    And also states any work not performed will result in docking the monthly payment
    But local ordinance makes blowing parking lots illegal (dust issues)

Can’t do that work
    It’s not possible
    There’s communities in California where you simply can’t comply with that requirement on that national box store chain

Strike it out
    Star it
    And make a note at the bottom or an attached page as to why.

Those contracts are written for 48-50
    States and they simply don’t apply to everyone practically or realistically

I don’t care who they paid to type it

8. JCLawn and more

from MI

You and I both know disclosure and non competes have time limits. You have been working in this industry long enough to name someone who isn't even in business anymore. You said "I cross out and write over contracts all the time.
    And yes some of them we get" and your example is oh the city ordinance is against blowing parking lots......... I assumed you meant major changes to the contract. Like changing the wording of liability, or warranty. Or the terms of insurance. The really stupid stuff like I am insuring any employee of theirs if they happen to take off with my rig, or if someone trips on the dry concrete in the wintertime, I have to defend the company. In reality if you signed the contract as it was and showed them the ordinance, they would make a note and carry on with life. I understand getting it on paper though.

hort101 likes this.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Non-competes\non-solicitations are worthless.

We serviced a property for the property owner who then decided to use an NSP. Actually, 2 different NSP's. Our manager hated it, much rather preferred working directly with us.

Last one had some BS about not soliciting the work if the NSP was fired\not rehired\whatever. This place is out of Taxachussetts, has no other work in the area and wanted something like a 50 mile exclusion zone. I ignored it.

NSP was fired, the customer contacted ME about doing the work. I didn't solicit right? Got a letter from the attorneys from these AC reminding me of what I signed. Mentioned it to the customer, they were aware of the letters and didn't say anything. I filed it. In the garbage. We're on our third season with the property owner. Never heard another word from the attorneys.

hort101 likes this.
  10. JCLawn and more

from MI

I had a former employer who had who sued a former employee for stealing his business directly and signed a non-compete agreement. My boss did have a case and proved it and won. It was a tax firm and the guy opened his own tax office just outside the non-compete clause but solicited his former customers as an employee. That was a no no. The guy did screw my boss over though.