Commercial WB for residential?

MikeDDayton

LawnSite Member
You might also keep your eye out for a used Exmark/Toro 30". They have a bit better transmission. Only downside is they weigh around 30lb more. It makes a difference.

Actual turf area is right at .3 acre (lot is .4, but the house and driveway consume .1).

Are you referring to the Turfmaster above when talking about 30" used Toro?

My dealer had the 30" Exmark right next to the Timemaster; the former is clearly a commercial piece of equipment, something I probably don't need (although I do have commercial grade blowers, trimmers and leaf vacs) Did I mention I don't care for yard work?:)

Thanks for the insights.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Actual turf area is right at .3 acre (lot is .4, but the house and driveway consume .1).

Are you referring to the Turfmaster above when talking about 30" used Toro?

My dealer had the 30" Exmark right next to the Timemaster; the former is clearly a commercial piece of equipment, something I probably don't need (although I do have commercial grade blowers, trimmers and leaf vacs) Did I mention I don't care for yard work?:)

Thanks for the insights.
Yes, the Turfmaster.

Just a thought - you might keep your eyes open for a "good" used 36" commercial walk behind, preferably a hydro. This would solve all of your problems and address your concern about the slope.

Yes, it might be more $ but I think you will be happier in the long run.

MikeDDayton

LawnSite Member
Yes, the Turfmaster.

Just a thought - you might keep your eyes open for a "good" used 36" commercial walk behind, preferably a hydro. This would solve all of your problems and address your concern about the slope.

Yes, it might be more $ but I think you will be happier in the long run.

Thanks, yes I've considered that route and will continue to do so.

MikeDDayton

LawnSite Member
Maybe you can nurse your Honda along until you find a really good deal.

The Honda runs fine and probably will past my mowing years. It's the ancillary parts (all 4 wheels are shot or close to it), the uncut strip problem I mentioned up thread and my desire to cut my mowing time down that will force a decision.

OP
G

Gregsfc

LawnSite Member
Most of the complaints on slopes have been with respect to the Exmark and TurfMaster commercials. They are much heavier than TM 30 and previously with the same transmission, but the new transmissions should more than make up for that previous weakness with a much higher price than before. I also wonder now about the same engine with more power going towards the SP system. I don't have steep slopes but have mowed my son's lot with an 18 degree short length slope near the road with my TimeMaster that is on it's fifth season with the same tyranny, second belt, and only one pulley explosion. It doesn't climb it with authority but will climb it fine. Sideways is no issue whatsoever.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
We just ordered the Bradley 48 stander to eliminate the exmark metro we use (back up to be). But we also use a trailer, always have.

MikeDDayton

LawnSite Member
Most of the complaints on slopes have been with respect to the Exmark and TurfMaster commercials. They are much heavier than TM 30 and previously with the same transmission, but the new transmissions should more than make up for that previous weakness with a much higher price than before. I also wonder now about the same engine with more power going towards the SP system. I don't have steep slopes but have mowed my son's lot with an 18 degree short length slope near the road with my TimeMaster that is on it's fifth season with the same tyranny, second belt, and only one pulley explosion. It doesn't climb it with authority but will climb it fine. Sideways is no issue whatsoever.

Thanks for the insights.

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
I would say go with a stander, I would not recommend loading any mower into a truck but a stander seems like it would be safer. When I first started I used a walk behind and a truck. I almost killed myself a couple of times getting it on and off. Especially with a fixed deck it gets cought on everything.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I would say go with a stander, I would not recommend loading any mower into a truck but a stander seems like it would be safer. When I first started I used a walk behind and a truck. I almost killed myself a couple of times getting it on and off. Especially with a fixed deck it gets cought on everything.
This mower is for his lawn only, Cam.

Top Forums