Commercial work issues

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
If you are turning work away, give them a quote that is worth your while & see what happens. Or say good bye.

Trisao

LawnSite Member
This post does not pass the smell test . Total BS . You want me to believe a "BIG national " company that you service weekly ( you say that's all you do is weekly) now wants monthly or quarterly ? ( eye roll ) You also say " We have just a handful of commercial work because in our area there is NO $ in it whatsoever " For you I guess ,but doubt you have any , and your "turning away work " sure
I’m a fairly small operation and I routinely turn away commercial work. It’s not profitable for what they want to pay, it’s difficult and they ALWAYS have annoying requests

OP
BrandonV

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
This post does not pass the smell test . Total BS . You want me to believe a "BIG national " company that you service weekly ( you say that's all you do is weekly) now wants monthly or quarterly ? ( eye roll ) You also say " We have just a handful of commercial work because in our area there is NO $ in it whatsoever " For you I guess ,but doubt you have any , and your "turning away work " sure
Hi dude! Did I insult you? It's the god's honestly truth. And I said in "my" area. Burlington/Greensboro/Chapel Hell is a different ball game that South Davidson/Montgomery County. And yes we're turning work away. Contstruction division is booked into next spring. Maintenance division just turned down a HOA bid request because we frankly can't handle the workload and that's the reason they're calling us because the guy who currently does it is dropping them because he's short handed. Could hire 8 people right now if they existed and could pass a drug test. Strange times we live in.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I've done one true commercial account in my many years in this biz. They dropped us when their janitor said he and his son would do it for 5% less. It was a smaller account but weekly mow, maint, mulch, shrubs, blowing parking lot etc. And brought in good $.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Good friend of my sister's who is also here in town. 85% of their large commercial lawn care biz was with one account. Handful of years ago bankruptcy. They lost the main customer over a few percent. But he could not drop it lower and make any profit. Obviously one can make money in it. I am one that honestly would not know how. But I do know how to make profit on the residential side. So to each their own I guess.

165 Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
This post does not pass the smell test . Total BS . You want me to believe a "BIG national " company that you service weekly ( you say that's all you do is weekly) now wants monthly or quarterly ? ( eye roll )

LOL. How do you think they got "BIG"? By just throwing money around and not looking at monthly & qtly p/l reports? A good controller will look at every dollar and see where they are going, and what means can be implemented to reduce costs. I've seen it for many years and was actively involved in it with a national company for 15 years. Having owned and flipped business for years I totally understand that happening.

Top Forums