Commercial Zero turn for household use

Thejudges69

LawnSite Member
Looking at options. I'm going to trade or sell the cub cadet pro Z. I've just had enough of it which is to bad cause I think it's got great potential.

Anyways. I like to stay commercial without breaking the bank. I currently cut 4.5-5 acres on a hillside that's old farm land so it's got it's rough patches. I'm also located in NE-Ohio if that makes a difference.

So what I have near me is Kubota 400 serious and a used 700 series, Scag, hustler, ferris, John Deere, exmark and big dog (owned by hustler I'm told) and that's about it for name brands.

I want to stay with the Kawasaki engine, and I'd like to stay with parker pumps, but am flexible with quality options. I need to stay 60" or better cut.

So I'm asking the pros, what's your mower of choice. I know that Scag used to have a huge following, is that still so? I'm told by a couple ex scag dealers they dropped them cause they were starting to see a lot of issues. Also, my scag dealer is the same dealer that did the hack weld job on my pro z that I'm fixing. So I'm not sure how I feel about that dealer..

I have a Kubota tractor that's 10 years old and had been next to zero issues, are their zero turns as reliable?

Thoughts on used? I'd buy a nice used diesel in a second if I could find one and trade my pro z on one.

Thanks in advance.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Looking at options. I'm going to trade or sell the cub cadet pro Z. I've just had enough of it which is to bad cause I think it's got great potential.

Anyways. I like to stay commercial without breaking the bank. I currently cut 4.5-5 acres on a hillside that's old farm land so it's got it's rough patches. I'm also located in NE-Ohio if that makes a difference.

So what I have near me is Kubota 400 serious and a used 700 series, Scag, hustler, ferris, John Deere, exmark and big dog (owned by hustler I'm told) and that's about it for name brands.

I want to stay with the Kawasaki engine, and I'd like to stay with parker pumps, but am flexible with quality options. I need to stay 60" or better cut.

So I'm asking the pros, what's your mower of choice. I know that Scag used to have a huge following, is that still so? I'm told by a couple ex scag dealers they dropped them cause they were starting to see a lot of issues. Also, my scag dealer is the same dealer that did the hack weld job on my pro z that I'm fixing. So I'm not sure how I feel about that dealer..

I have a Kubota tractor that's 10 years old and had been next to zero issues, are their zero turns as reliable?

Thoughts on used? I'd buy a nice used diesel in a second if I could find one and trade my pro z on one.

Thanks in advance.
Before you make final decision, if possible demo or at least look at and consider a Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive 72” with Vanguard 37 hp. EFI.

This is what I currently run, cutting 10 acres of personal property, much is on farm with every kind of grass imaginable. This mower and my previous 2005 Hustler Super Z have been flawless. Never needed dealer support for anything.

You might consider the new Wright ZXT, it comes with Oil Guard System 500 hr oil change interval, and 1000 hr Hydraulic change interval.

Others swear by Deere, Scag, Toro, Ferris, Exmark, etc. Non are perfect and some work better in certain applications than others. They all have their pros and cons.

Before I purchased my first Hustler. I demoed on my own property Scag, Exmark, Ferris and lastly Hustler, all having similar hp and 60” deck. Many things about first 3 that just didn’t feel right. Once I demoed the Hustler, the debate was over, the choice was obvious.

Kohler 28 EFI, Hydralics smooth as butter, very comfortable ride, got even better with flex forks, open visibility to trim side of deck, etc.

My 72” Hyperdrive is even better with Grammer MSG65 Suspension seat with Fore/Aft adjustable. Hydraulic Pumps are Danfoss DDC-20, Wheel Motors are Parker TG280. These components are industrial grade used in Skid Steers, Bobcats, etc.

The Hustler 72” was only $400 more than the 60”. I can cut anywhere with the 72” that I could with the previous 60” plus with more deck on trim side I can trim closer to ditch banks and ponds while staying further from edge with tires.

I know you said you preferred Kawasaki Engine but regardless of brand I would definitely get EFI over carbureted. Others will disagree, but mine have been flawless.

Lots to consider

OP
T

Thejudges69

LawnSite Member
Before you make final decision, if possible demo or at least look at and consider a Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive 72” with Vanguard 37 hp. EFI.

This is what I currently run, cutting 10 acres of personal property, much is on farm with every kind of grass imaginable. This mower and my previous 2005 Hustler Super Z have been flawless. Never needed dealer support for anything.

You might consider the new Wright ZXT, it comes with Oil Guard System 500 hr oil change interval, and 1000 hr Hydraulic change interval.

Others swear by Deere, Scag, Toro, Ferris, Exmark, etc. Non are perfect and some work better in certain applications than others. They all have their pros and cons.

Before I purchased my first Hustler. I demoed on my own property Scag, Exmark, Ferris and lastly Hustler, all having similar hp and 60” deck. Many things about first 3 that just didn’t feel right. Once I demoed the Hustler, the debate was over, the choice was obvious.

Kohler 28 EFI, Hydralics smooth as butter, very comfortable ride, got even better with flex forks, open visibility to trim side of deck, etc.

My 72” Hyperdrive is even better with Grammer MSG65 Suspension seat with Fore/Aft adjustable. Hydraulic Pumps are Danfoss DDC-20, Wheel Motors are Parker TG280. These components are industrial grade used in Skid Steers, Bobcats, etc.

The Hustler 72” was only $400 more than the 60”. I can cut anywhere with the 72” that I could with the previous 60” plus with more deck on trim side I can trim closer to ditch banks and ponds while staying further from edge with tires.

I know you said you preferred Kawasaki Engine but regardless of brand I would definitely get EFI over carbureted. Others will disagree, but mine have been flawless.

Lots to consider
The issue I constantly run into is the demo. No one ever wants to let me demo a brand new machine. Or they want me to. Some to their place to demo and I hate that cause it's not my property and I may not like it on my property.

As for EFI vs carburetor, I'm not opposed to either one. I've had great luck with carbureted engines but if the deals right on one of the other I'm ok with it.

What about deck thickness? This cub deck is called a triple 7 deck. But good golly it's thin. I just got done straightening the center pulley location and I contribute that to the belt pulling on the pulley and flex.

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'd contact a manufacturer directly if you want to demo. Some might bring a couple right out to your place and say, take a ride. Wright was going to do that for me with one of their reps.

Otherwise, I couldn't get one either. Spin around the parking lot is about all they'd offer if anything.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I'd contact a manufacturer directly if you want to demo. Some might bring a couple right out to your place and say, take a ride. Wright was going to do that for me with one of their reps.

Otherwise, I couldn't get one either. Spin around the parking lot is about all they'd offer if anything.
The dealer where I purchased my 72” had a large field right beside the shop, gave me a used Super Z Hyperdrive 72” and told me to cut all I wanted to.

I already knew how the Hustler handled, I just want to see how the difference in a 60” verses a 72” deck felt. So glad I went with the 72”, I'll never go back to anything less.

One thing people might overlook is how visible is the trim side of deck is while mowing. On many brand mowers with short wheelbase, the trim side is hard to see especially on narrower decks.

Hustler has a long wheelbase and trim side is well exposed and highly visible. It's the small overlooked details that will emerge after you get a few hundred hrs. on your mower that you'll love or hate.

One improvement I forgot to mention in earlier post about Wright ZXT is there are no grease zerks to have to grease.

How much better can it get? 500 hr oil change, 1000 hr hydraulic oil change, no grease zerks. I would really love to demo a 72” Wright ZXT.

Neither the Hustler or Wright has a factory installed Tach which I think should be standard on all mowers.

Also the Wright has an open storage compartment beside the seat but no lid. How long will it take that to fill with grass and dirt while you mow? I can’t believe they could overlook something that obvious.

No brand is perfect but a few are much closer than others. If I were In the market today for a new mower I would demo a 72” Deere, 72” Wright both with the biggest EFI engine they offer. Then I'd but the Deere, the Wright or another Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive. The hydraulic smoothness of a Hustler sets it apart.

OP
T

Thejudges69

LawnSite Member
The dealer where I purchased my 72” had a large field right beside the shop, gave me a used Super Z Hyperdrive 72” and told me to cut all I wanted to.

I already knew how the Hustler handled, I just want to see how the difference in a 60” verses a 72” deck felt. So glad I went with the 72”, I'll never go back to anything less.

One thing people might overlook is how visible is the trim side of deck is while mowing. On many brand mowers with short wheelbase, the trim side is hard to see especially on narrower decks.

Hustler has a long wheelbase and trim side is well exposed and highly visible. It's the small overlooked details that will emerge after you get a few hundred hrs. on your mower that you'll love or hate.

One improvement I forgot to mention in earlier post about Wright ZXT is there are no grease zerks to have to grease.

How much better can it get? 500 hr oil change, 1000 hr hydraulic oil change, no grease zerks. I would really love to demo a 72” Wright ZXT.

Neither the Hustler or Wright has a factory installed Tach which I think should be standard on all mowers.

Also the Wright has an open storage compartment beside the seat but no lid. How long will it take that to fill with grass and dirt while you mow? I can’t believe they could overlook something that obvious.

No brand is perfect but a few are much closer than others. If I were In the market today for a new mower I would demo a 72” Deere, 72” Wright both with the biggest EFI engine they offer. Then I'd but the Deere, the Wright or another Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive. The hydraulic smoothness of a Hustler sets it apart.
I'd have to check for a wright dealer. And the 72" is great but I'm not sure it would fit in my shed and I'm not buying another shed lol. 60" is ok though. Doesn't Deere have that 7 iron deck or something? And hustler, I have the one dealer he's about 30 miles. Not to bad.

OP
T

Thejudges69

LawnSite Member

That's an idea cause none of the dealers I went to before would bring one out. My wife cuts the grass 95% of the time and she'd be the one to give the final or since she uses it way more then me.

OP
T

Thejudges69

LawnSite Member
How does Kubota stack up in the market today? Oh and I think I have a gravely dealer and country clipper dealer close as well.

Top Forums