Commercial ZTR worth it?

Jacques

LawnSite Member
Hey, so we’re branching out our fert and squirt into maintenance to get more contracts, and I’m trying to find the right ztr without breaking the bank.

We have JD & Kubota as the two main equipment dealers in town followed by Ferris and Toro options.

We have to comply with commercial regulations so not having a ROPS is not an option. Basically I’m wondering if a higher end acreage mower will suffice or if I should just bite the bullet and get a full blown commercial unit.

I should also mention target sized yards are .25-2.0 acres. So I’m leaning towards a 60”

Mownmachine144

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hey, so we’re branching out our fert and squirt into maintenance to get more contracts, and I’m trying to find the right ztr without breaking the bank.

We have JD & Kubota as the two main equipment dealers in town followed by Ferris and Toro options.

We have to comply with commercial regulations so not having a ROPS is not an option. Basically I’m wondering if a higher end acreage mower will suffice or if I should just bite the bullet and get a full blown commercial unit.

I should also mention target sized yards are .25-2.0 acres. So I’m leaning towards a 60”
I would go with the JD 920 or 930m.
just demoed a 930m 60" today. It was huge. I was covering sooooo much grass. If your going to be doing larger yards. The 60" is where it's at! Good luck on your search.

OP
J

Jacques

LawnSite Member
I would go with the JD 920 or 930m.
just demoed a 930m 60" today. It was huge. I was covering sooooo much grass. If your going to be doing larger yards. The 60" is where it's at! Good luck on your search.
I went and looked at the z915e but the rep was recommending the z955(m I think)

I also went and checked out the Kubota line up and their 400 series looks interesting, although it’s that gap machine between a Res and commercial machine.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Meh

Why not just get a walk behind or stander if you’re just getting going?

Why does every go for a battleship before they have any frigates?

OP
J

Jacques

LawnSite Member
Meh

The stand ons these dealers carry are nearly the same price as a ztr, as for the wall behinds, I’ve been reading some horror stories of employees who don’t respect equipment causing some pretty dumb/big accidents which is turning me off of that idea. Then again, price isn’t that far out compared to ride ons.

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
Meh

I've eyed the standers but the lawns around here are larger in size, a few we even bag, I know I know there's a bagger for the standers, I feel a ztr is more efficient. Smaller lawns with gates and obstacles though, I would agree the stander would probably be more efficient.

Which route you go should depend on the lawns in your area and the lawns you're cutting

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
I've eyed the standers but the lawns around here are larger in size, a few we even bag, I know I know there's a bagger for the standers, I feel a ztr is more efficient. Smaller lawns with gates and obstacles though, I would agree the stander would probably be more efficient.

Which route you go should depend on the lawns in your area and the lawns you're cutting
Nah, standers are way more efficient. You can absorb bumps better, turn quicker w/o tearing turf and ride slopes way better. I had a 61” Ztr and a 36” stander. The oil pan gasket started leaking @ 1000hrs on my ztr so I took it in to get fixed a demoed a 54” stander. Guess what? The 54” stander was just a little faster than the 61” ztr. After that day I traded the ztr in for a 61” stander. It’s a night and day difference. Have a 3 acre acct that used to take me about 2.5hrs from the time I pulled in til the time I pulled out. The 1st time I cut it with the 61” stander it took me 1.75hrs. This place is pretty rough so the ztr had to move slow, that’s with a suspension seat and not the cheap a$$ aftermarket spring style. I’ll tell you this, my body feels way better running all standers.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
The stand ons these dealers carry are nearly the same price as a ztr, as for the wall behinds, I’ve been reading some horror stories of employees who don’t respect equipment causing some pretty dumb/big accidents which is turning me off of that idea. Then again, price isn’t that far out compared to ride ons.
Horror stories about employees not respecting equipment applies to all equipment and in hardly exclusive to walk behinds.