Lawn Care Forum banner

Compact Equipment

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  YardPro 
#1 ·
OK here we go –

I am looking to add another piece of equipment to my operation. I currently own a Kubota L5030 w/loader and a Rotadairon on the 3 pt, a New Holland LS160, and a Kubota RTV. I need to be able to access forests with soft ground for small brush jobs, degraded job sites after rainfall – normally we don’t work when it rains – but I need to get back to the job site faster. Something that treads light over lawns to auger holes or move mulch and materials, etc… The skid loader works great on new construction but not so well in established landscapes. The Kubota tractor works great on established landscapes but is just too big half the time. We are getting more and more into stamped concrete and accessability into backyards with the larger equipment is becoming a problem. What do you think would be the ideal machine for the situation. I need something small. Something small and very maneuverable. I have used the walk behind or stand on compact track loaders and just don’t like them. But I am open to hearing why you like them and overall impressions. I would like to hear what people think about my equipment needs – such as What you think would be ideal??? I have narrowed down the field to the ASV Rc30 and the Power Trac line of compact articulated loaders. I would like a really small machine. I think the Rc30 would fit the bill but I would like input on everybody’s likes and dislikes about a certain piece of equipment. Your advice is greatly appreciated…

Aaron

See less See more
#2 ·
i would look at the dingo's boxter, sk500 etc over the rc 30 any day....

they have the same lifting capacity, some have more lift height... they have universal attachments for empliments, so lots of stuff from aftermarket are available...same or more hydro power...

also they are much smaller and more maneuverable...
we went with the tx425 but i also really liked the ditch witch sk500 also..
boxter was pretty nice, and i hear the vermeer is a beast also..

the asv was just too big and since i would be using it alone a lot.. climbing in and out of the cab seemed a real drag... the dingo.. etc.. you just hop off the back...

#3 ·
AtoZ,

What is the most important need you have a majority of the time? 1) Width 2) Lift capacity 3) Hydraulic flow 4) Turf Friendliness. There are always compromises that limit your choices. I would focus on the most needed features to help on your decision. The RC-30 is a good machine (turf friendly/lift capacity but is a wide machine compared to a mini skid under 36" which may have more hydraulic flow.

#4 ·
My biggest needs are turf friendliness. And I have to have to sit down as this machine will be used for several hours at a time... Machine width and hydraulic flow/capacity doesn't matter for my situation. My current skid loader is too big for some jobs and is rough on grass - just too heavy @ 6,500lbs.

I will be keeping my bigger skid for the heavy stuff. Also my Kubota tractor is 20 feet long - also too big half the time. I need something small that will not damage fine lawns. Everybody want's bigger and more power. I already have that - I want small and nimble with no turf damage. I think ASV is my only option. ASV has no competition with the RC-30

#5 ·
AtoZ,

I have a RC50 that treads very lightly of finished surfaces and turf, however, I have been looking at the optional "turf tracks" that ASV sells. I have talked to someone who owns a ASV machine with the turf tracks and he swears by them. I do know that they are interchangeable with the standard tracks, and they offer them on the RC-30 as well. I need a larger machine for my needs, but I have demonstrated the RC30 and it is an amazing little machine that based on my experience can outwork a 553 or S130 in many applications, especially in leveling, pushing, slope work, etc. I also liked the fact, that regardless of the weather, a person can work. it is true that the stand on units have their place, but I wouldn't want to stand on one in the rain, in the snow, in the cold, etc. the RC30 comes with a enclosed cab with heater! Good luck with your search.

#6 ·
Thanks for your comments. I've seen the turf tracks in action and they were awesome. I don't know of any machine that can de a complete 360 on a well manicured fairway and leave zero damage. How long have you had your ASV? Any complaints or issues???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.