1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

compact riders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willofalltrades, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I am buying a compact rider this spring. I am looking at the Toro Z450 with the 20hp Kohler, the Scag Tiger Cub with the 23hp Kaw and 52"deck, And the Exmark Lazer Z HP with the 27hp Kohler and the 56" deck. I plan to start out mulching and then eventually buy a bagger to handle the leaves in a few yards. Please provide your opinions, favorites, likes, dislikes, and comments so I buy the best compact out there. thanks

2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

All are great machines,I have seen all do great cutting,and bagging. Although,exmark is far better at mulching as far as i can tell. what dealer is best?

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The Exmark 27HP 56" deck really caught my eye when I first saw it. If you will be mulching and bagging I think you will want to go with the most HP that you can, which from the list you gave is the Exmark.

4. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the exmark 52hp with 23 horse. It is a great little mower. Leaves a great cut and is small enough to get into tight corners. I also have the ultra vac system for a bagging unit works good except on wet stuff.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i think its the nicest one out there, the turbo force deck cant be beat, i have the mulch kit also, leaves a great cut....

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about compact, when you but on the bagger it will be pretty wide? Maybe a Walker would serve the compact aspect better?