Compact Stander vs Zero Turn - Residential

Jmbeebe0722

LawnSite Member
Hi All -

I am mainly looking for a mower for my residential culdesac lot which is probably a half acre. I have also considered looking at doing some lawns part-time close to home as I have a full time remote job.

I am confined to something 36”- 44” due to gate size. My lot is a walk out lot that has a very steady gradual slope, very wide but shallow with a fair amount of curves from flower beds.

I am stuck on what mower would be fit my needs.. Stander or Compact Zero Turn. I am not looking for something from a big box store but rather a quality machine in the prosumer or commercial grade.

Curious thoughts from the residential guys on if they feel a Stander or ZTR is better for the homeowner or very part time guys.

As for standers I have been looking at 36” Wright B Stander, 36” Ferris SRS-F1, 36” Bad Boy Revolt or 36” Scag Vride2. On the zero turn I have been look at 36” Ferris F60Z, 44”Gravely ZT-HD, 42” Bad Boy Outlaw Compact. Cut quality is VERY important to me. I plan to mulch 99% of my time.

Let me know your all’s thoughts and any other models I should look at. I have dealer support for all of these.

NewVision

LawnSite Senior Member
Stander or ZTR is personal preference. To me, standing is easier on the body and the vantage point is better. Some prefer to sit and have a beverage while mowing. If it's just for you and your property, I would prefer a stander. I'm partial to Wright Standers, especially the Stander B due to price point for what you get.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
I currently have a 636 John Deere, and owned a bad boy revolt 48! Both great mowers, only reason sold the revolt was I got a good deal on a 652 John Deere. They (bb) also make a 36. Any of the major brands should have something in that range. Those two are what I have experience with.

I believe Bradley and Worldlawn are worth a look. Simple, no frills machines but seem to have a good feedback from guys on here.

Top Forums