1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

compare winterizing prices nationwide USA

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by sprinklerhead, Nov 21, 2005.

1. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

I was wondering what other states are getting for winterizing sprinklers because the price in Mi. is getting ridiculously low and if your doing it for $30- $35 your Nutz.With 2 people working to!!
    We start out @ $65. 1-6 zones add $5. each individual zone after 6 zones ,residential only .Commercial you should be getting $100- 150.just for showing up they usually take 30 days to pay. Thats interest ,knowledge ,Insurance,Gas,wear and tear on your equipment.
    10 years ago i could get these price easy.

2. sprinklerhead

from MI.

Feel free to make comments.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't want to do a residential for less than sixty-five. I usually only add for extra zones when I get to ten. A surcharge for dismantle/reassembly of an RPZ is fair. And commercial, you charge whatever the market will bear.

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

On residential we charge a flat $ 75.00 , be it 1 zone or 30 zones . The time difference adverages out at the end of the day . This has helped us to increase our service customers by about 50 each year just from blowouts .

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I really find it hard to believe that someone could come out ahead with only charging $30-35 on a blowout. Seems like it'd almost be like working for free.

6. sprinklerhead

from MI.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Its true $30- $35 these guys are doing it for in Mi. there is so much comp. everybody is cutting each others throat. i even have a phone # i got on the side of the road on a sign i called and told them he was crazy . there everywheres out here .if anyone wants to call for themselve 5864125515

Working for free is right!

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah there are signs around on the street corners in neighborhoods advertising $35. Heck when I first started in irrigation in 1993, the company I worked for was charging $40. My normal charge is $56. I also know of one company here charging $65. I am comfortable with my fee. But if it is 12 or more stations I usually tack on 5-10 extra. Some of these jobs we can be in and out in 15 minutes max. SprinklerGuy timed one of his at 8 minutes.

I went out yesterday with my technician doing 15 winterizations. We usually do them seperately, but we rented the compressor for yesterday and today and I wanted to make sure we got them done since they were stretched all over town. It doesn't help out a whole lot having two guys. But while one guy is pulling the hose and hooking up, one guy can let the homeowner know we are there, and collect a check. Rather than collecting after everything is done. We usually open through the bleed screws or solenoids and can blow out 2-5 at a time. 2-3 if blowing through the test ****, and 4-5 if through a 1/2" or 3/4" hook up.

Today is our last day. Looks like a total of 535. We did 400 last year.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

They won't be there when it's time to troubleshoot an installation, and the customers you want to keep aren't going to demand you match a low price.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly WetBoots. Some of these guys are the weekend warriors that use their home air compressor, or rent one for the weekend just to make some "easy" money. And I will be fixing some of their work. I explain all these thing to the customer when they ask about the $35 signs.

I sometimes give a discount to people, but only if they have been using our services for a few seasons, have 2-3 homes in a row (no drivetime), military, and each one is at our judgement. Usually go down to $50.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

At those prices, you'll starve to death for lack of work out here! I quoted several folks for winterizing to include taking their intakes out and draining the pump - $75. "No", they said "been using ABC company for years and they only charge me $50".:dizzy: I don't even bother tyring to compete. I only winterize for my full service clients.