Competition busted by DOT Big time

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mdirrigation, Apr 19, 2017.

1. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Every time I'm near the DC metro area working, I see at least 1 landscape operation pulled over by DOT. I just saw 1 yesterday.

I heard a few years ago they were going to start cracking down. Looks like it's happening.

RussellB likes this.
  2. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

Oh thank god for that. If there wasn't DOT enforcement, the terrorists would win.
    These guys remind me of MPs. No wonder why other cops hate them.

3. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

I think it's long over due. In my area there are tons of rinky-dink operations who honestly shouldn't even be on the road. Between the illegals with drivers licenses, hood rats pulling anything and everything with their cars, large trucks with no DOT numbers, the list goes on and on. Just because you can pull it, doesn't make it legal. A lot of them are starting to figure it out.

Since DOT has cracked down, and Trump with illegal immigration, I'm curious to see how the next few months pan out when the emails start flowing...."my lawn guy stopped showing up".

oh ok and hort101 like this.
  4. stringfellohawk

You're a 'Glass Half-Full' kinda guy. I like the cut of your jib.

Get compliant and stay ahead of the game.

hort101 likes this.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I always thought the motor carrier super troopers were the ones that failed real police school............

What pisses me off is they never pull over the guy hauling junk stacked 14' high in a 1956 half ton with its rear bumper dragging on the road.

Why? Because they don't have the money to pay the fine\tax. So they go after the guys that are attempting to do it legal because they know we will pay.

gcbailey, JLSLLC, bmc1025 and 8 others like this.
  6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

Northern anne arundel county

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

This is the reason my flat bed trailer is GVW at 9998 lbs , and my trucks and van are 10,000 lbs . I have a Class B , and I can pull up to a 10K trailer behind a B class truck , but I cant pull anything higher.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I got pulled over last year and was told I had to get new tires that day on my 14' dual axle enclosed used for mowing, or he was putting me out of service. Oh, and it was 4pm when he did this....
    No way in heck was that going to happen.

Rubbed me to the wrong way that the dot felt the need to tell me when to change my tires. I blew it off for a few weeks until I had time, still some life in the old tires.

JLSLLC, oh ok, RDALawns and 1 other person like this.
  9. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

yup the outter loop scale house has been open more recently...and there is a spot just south of us1 where DOT likes to sit and "tag" the ones that don't go on the scale

10. stringfellohawk

...my father is on his way back from Ohio right now with our new 14,000lb deckover. I'm hoping he did some route recon before departing.