1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

competition with no signs?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DirtyDeeds.CS, Mar 28, 2018.

1. DirtyDeeds.CS

DirtyDeeds.CS LawnSite Member

Ok guys I have a lil question. So as I get closer to launching my lawn business ive been paying close attention to every other crew I see. What on there truck, how many guys how many crews ECT, but I've noticed something I find interesting. Ive seen at least 6 companies probably more here with good sized set ups and crews to 3 crew and truck set ups that have no signs or advertising of any kind on the trucks or trailer. You can't tell what the company is or anything just by looking. No real set uniforms either. Can anyone explain to me why so many companies would not buy a $30 magnet sign to advertise? Hell I'm not even operating yet and I already have some!

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe the owner isn’t very proud of the job the employees do and doesn’t want everyone to know who is servicing the property. Who knows

3. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

I've had 2 customers sign up with us over the last 7 years because they got the info off one of my trucks.

It's common not to see any signage on trucks/trailers. Some either don't want to put the money into it, not licensed, don't want new customers, etc.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the mower jockey industry.

5. La Chandler

La Chandler LawnSite Member

There may be a more obvious reason: Professionalism. There is a lawn maintenance firm in this area who only does schools, municipal parks and major corporations and you have to hunt to find their name on their trucks.

greennola likes this.
  6. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have signage because my insurance company wants an additional fee if I have advertising on my truck or trailer. So since I get all the business I need from referrals of existing customers I decided it wasn't worth it. I do zero advertising and can pick and choose the jobs I want at this point.

That said I would have signage on my truck if not for amikas policy about it.

7. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Bingo. Our industry has it all. You want fully wrapped NPR dumps towing fully wrapped trailers? We’ve got that. You want mini vans towing trailers made from pick up truck beds? We’ve got that too. You want crews in matching uniforms. We can do that. You want a guy mowing shirtless with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth? Yup, we can do that too!

8. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to run signs, no longer. I reached a nearly full schedule a couple years ago, and don't take accounts unless they are in a hood or next to other existing. No sense in taking calls from all over that I don't want to service. All my new customers come from referrals and people in the neighborhoods I'm working in.

zlandman, fga, FromUndaChz and 3 others like this.
  9. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

"Your guy just cut me off in traffic" or "Something just came off of your trailer and broke my windshield" the list is endless.

10. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Also by running signs, you increase your chances of getting DOT to pull you over for a little look see !!
    What no flairs, and those 5 gal cans won't cut it mister. Ticket ✔

t608, zlandman, FromUndaChz and 2 others like this.