1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

competitive pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qcms, Jan 30, 2001.

1. qcms

qcms LawnSite Member

I am relatively new to the lawn care business. I have many residential accounts and only a couple small commerical accounts. In order to entice new clients has anyone made common practice of offering a "perk" for signing a seasonal contract? By that I mean, offer competitive pricing ( which I realize varies from market to market) for mowing, edging, ect, and then offer to, for example, core airate the lawn in the fall at no charge for signing a contract in the spring?
    Any thoughts?? What have you tried??

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

one time i offered a free fertilizer application, it seemed to give me a slight edge, by this i mean i know guys who estimated the same jobs, at the same prices, but i ended up getting the work. not sure if this was due to the free fert, or my amazing charm(ha ha)

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't work for free, but if you figure in your seasonal rate the right way you could include at least the cost if not a profit for the "free" service and then call it free in the end? I think the F word just gets people all excited, it draws attention because they think they're getting a deal, when in fact everyone else that offers "free" stuff in any other biz is doing the same exact thing I described above.

Good Luck and let us know how everything works out for you.

4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Free is a great eye grabber, just make sure you get payed for your free item !

5. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

That is the key. get paid for free stuff. When i am trying to sign a commercial acct. i will offer to do the owners lawn while he or she is on vacation that summer. it has gotten me 3 new lawns this year. last year I had 4 owners take me up on it. (it was figured in there price already) 3 of them were once and one was twice. and he sent me a gift cert. for dinner. This has worked well for me and i will keep on doing it.