compost calculation?

beachtownlawnservice

LawnSite Member
How much compost will i need to cover a 1.5 acres at 1/4 inch?
I called around to a couple of suppliers and they are recommending 100+ yards. Is this right? seems a bit much to me. both places want $31-$35 dollars a yard . but will give me a discount if i buy this much.

OP
B

beachtownlawnservice

LawnSite Member
thanks for your 2 cents duffster.
I posted 1/4 inch. but they want 1/2 inch, after i aerate which i read will make a difference in the amount we are to put down. I'm coming in at 101.yards just seems like I'm over calculating something? or missing something? seems like a lot.

jcr4au

LawnSite Member
thanks for your 2 cents duffster.
I posted 1/4 inch. but they want 1/2 inch, after i aerate which i read will make a difference in the amount we are to put down. I'm coming in at 101.yards just seems like I'm over calculating something? or missing something? seems like a lot.
For 1/2" take the sq footage and divide by 640. I got 102 yds doing that.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
Your math sucks.
Well an acre is 43,560 Sq. Ft. or a Rectangle area of 100 ft. long x 435.6 ft. wide, so if you plug these #'s into any landscape material calculator with his depth at .50" thick it comes out to 67 Yards per Acre, Yeah that last calculator I used had a different #, and was obviously incorrect. So for 1.5 Acres x 67 Cubic Yards/per acre x 1.5=the final answer would be== 100.5 Cubic Yards roughly

Last edited:

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
Unless you're on sand I wouldn't bother about 1/2" of compost to begin with, unless you're doing a major overseeding event...

There is a point of "Diminishing returns" with compost as with most other things... It really doesn't take a lot to get your soils going in the right direction and I would speak plainly with the client about that...

Otherwise you're talking about $2000.00 dollars just in materials , correct??