1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Compost or seed blanket cover?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by harryhomeowner, Apr 9, 2004.

1. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

Last fall I had my driveway repaved, the result is a driveway that is 3" higher than the lawn. My driveway egde is 300 lineal feet.

I recently spead a few yards of compost & topsoil to level the area out, then topped with seed and straw with very limited results. You know, birds, wind blew straw around and dried out soil, maybe I wasn't a diligent in watering as I should've been.

My question is should I spead more seeds and cover it with the compost and straw again - OR - spead the seed and use a seed blanket.

The seed blanket runs $10 for 20' or in my case $150!!!

2 yards compost $50, 3 bails straw = $20

What would you do?

2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I would just go with the seed again and probably forgo the straw. One thing you may want to consider first however, is tilling the soil about 6 inches deep. This will keep there from being a layer of extremely good soil on top of so-so soil. The plant roots may not go deeper than the 3" of top soil & compost if you don't, as they will like the top layer much better than the underlying soil.
    In Texas I was very successful with Bermuda seed just by throwing a starter fertilizer down, then the seed, then watering the heck out of it.
    Good luck.

Randy

3. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

you've got to water it on a regular schedule.

4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct. I should clarify my statement of "water the heck out of it". You need to keep the ground wet. Don't let it dry out.

Randy