• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

compost tea. How much to apply/how to make in bulk

climber338

LawnSite Member
Hey guys Ive been doing allot of research and the one thing i cant find is how much tea to apply per 1000 square feet on a lawn. I do mostly tree work and if anybody has any idea how much to apply to a tree that would be awesome as well. I know that will very allot but anything would be great. I also plan to use worm castings sense i have allot of food waist/yard waist and i have the space to spare but that's a different subject all together but i just thought it was important to mention. I'm just looking for your opinion on the best ratio and how to make it in bulk with out spending allot of money. I have seen 5 pounds of dry compost for 50 gallons of water and then mix it over the coarse of a week. IMO that seems like a good and easy way to measure it out. Thanks for any info on this guys i really plan to use this service to expand my business and go 100% organic.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey guys Ive been doing allot of research and the one thing i cant find is how much tea to apply per 1000 square feet on a lawn. I do mostly tree work and if anybody has any idea how much to apply to a tree that would be awesome as well. I know that will very allot but anything would be great. I also plan to use worm castings sense i have allot of food waist/yard waist and i have the space to spare but that's a different subject all together but i just thought it was important to mention. I'm just looking for your opinion on the best ratio and how to make it in bulk with out spending allot of money. I have seen 5 pounds of dry compost for 50 gallons of water and then mix it over the coarse of a week. IMO that seems like a good and easy way to measure it out. Thanks for any info on this guys i really plan to use this service to expand my business and go 100% organic.
Did you attend the Ecological Landscape Association conference in Springfield today?

ICT Bill

LawnSite Platinum Member
Thanks!
Good stuff here, particularly regarding mycorrhizae, & dealing w/ compacted soil.
Hey Marcos did you see the "this old House" on Haaarvard Yaaard, they speak to the compaction issues that they had with folks walking across campus, the interesting note is how well the trees have responded
Here is write up in the New York Times about it

http://www.uos.harvard.edu/fmo/landscape/organiclandscaping/ny_times_the_grass_is_greener.pdf

Here is the video, their recipe sucks by the way.......don't do that with your recipe
http://www.uos.harvard.edu/fmo/landscape/organiclandscaping/landscaping_video.shtml

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Looks great Tad! I recognized Tim's photo right off the bat.
Is that Jeff's revised edition of Teaming With Microbes?